Interest in a hacknight/hackathon?

robertj

Nov 29, 2012, 11:01:13 AM11/29/12
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

some members of our community have expressed the interest of doing a hackathon or hacknite.
I would like to start a discussion on this topic to gather more input about your ideas.

Some of the questions that linger in my head are
- what should be the length of such an event?
- should we start at 19:00 or earlier?
- should we do it on a wednesday or maybe rather on weekend?
- should we keep it total freeform or should we rather define a topic which we like to hack towards?
- should we do define groups of people and if yes how should we do this?
- when should we do it? February is the first slot that is open for now ...

probably there is a lot more to discuss.

Please throw as many ideas at me as you can.

ciao robertj

Peter Schrammel

Nov 29, 2012, 3:57:11 PM11/29/12
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com
Love the idea!

My 2c:

Freeform? I don't know: x people gether and x people hack on their own.

Perhaps people could vote for different projects and those with more
than 2 participants are set (more than 2 because: 2 - 1 (the one which
became sick) leads to the situation above).

Rules:
1. Taking an existing project and implementing a feature/design or
setting the foundations for sth. new (better)
2. everything has to be OSS (no hacking on closed stuff) an has to be
released
3. No coding before the event (I'm very interested how big the output is
when starting from scratch)

Time:
- The teams should start the discussions earlier on some lists
(discussing basic requirements, designs , APIs takes lots of time and
this should start earlier). But no real code!
- Do it rails girls way: Gether on friday, set up everything, start the
basics (repo setup, ...).
- Hack all saturday,
- presentations/dicussions from saturday 1800... until the last beer is done

Ideas what to hack on:
WebApp:
- Every ruby blog is running on PHP :-(
- OwnCloud clone
- implement image service like http://cloudinary.com/ for internal usage
C/Ruby:
- embeding mruby into lighttpd/nginx/apache
- embeding mruby groonga to implement tokenisers, stopword filters in ruby

looking forward to see this taking off ....

Nikolay Sturm

Nov 30, 2012, 3:50:12 AM11/30/12
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com
* robertj [2012-11-29]:
> Some of the questions that linger in my head are
> - what should be the length of such an event?
> - should we start at 19:00 or earlier?
> - should we do it on a wednesday or maybe rather on weekend?

Depending on the setup, I would expect different activities. If we did a
hacknight on wednesday, I would probably just sit down and do some katas
or a ruby quiz. On a hackday on the weekend, I might actually work on a
more ambitious project. Both is fine for me.

> - should we keep it total freeform or should we rather define a topic
> which we like to hack towards?

Seeing Peter's mail, I prefer a much more unstructured approach. I
prefer having very few rules and letting people self organize around
these rules, e.g.:
- be open to pairing and talking about your code with anybody, thus no work
on confidential company code
- however, don't force anyone to pair; I am probably not the only
introvert who prefers working side by side with someone after a long
day of personal interaction at work
- have an introductory round, where people describe their ideas so
pairs or groups can form spontaneously
- have a retrospective round, where people describe their work and
reflect on the night/day

cheers,

Nikolay

--
"It's all part of my Can't-Do approach to life." Wally

Alex P

Nov 30, 2012, 5:53:57 AM11/30/12
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com
I second what Nikolay wrote in terms of comments to Peter's mail.

And yes, i'd like to hack on something "more ambitious"…

What I had in mind was related in general to in-memory databases, tuple-driven state-machine im-memory map/reduce, web sockets, graphs, crazy visualizations. I have some experience with most of mentioned things, already have some prototypes, although most of them are in clojure (for backends) or coffee script (for graphs and websocket-related stuff). And of course these all things are going to be open source.

Also, I'd be glad to participate in something related the topics like: binary protocols implementations, bloom filters (actually, any high-optimized data structures, I'd say), map-reduce, logic programming, c10k and concurrency in general.

--
Alex P
Sent with Sparrow

kmerz

Dec 9, 2012, 3:20:48 PM12/9/12
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

And yes, i'd like to hack on something "more ambitious"…

'nough said!

No really, I would also like to the time and freedom to hack on more then 3 lines of code. So I would appreciate a hackday on weekend more. Even so my gf wouldn't :)

Greetings
Konrad

robertj

Dec 10, 2012, 4:39:17 PM12/10/12
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com
maybe you convince your GF to join us - maybe via Ruby Girls?

ciao robertj

robertj

Dec 18, 2012, 3:38:19 PM12/18/12
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

we had a good discussion on the topic of Hacknite/Hackathons.

The concensus was more towards a Hackathon with a more structured approach.
However there where also a lot of people that preferred a free form hacknite.

So I think we should simply do both.

Maybe we can do a Hacknite in early summer over some beer and bratwurst and we will
do a full fledged Hackathon later in Summer.

For the planing and preparation of a Hackathon I would need some helpers please.
Any takers? Peter, Konstatin?

looking forward

Alex P

Dec 19, 2012, 4:46:43 AM12/19/12
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com
I would of course help with Hackathon.

I could prepare questionnaire for it, in order to understand what exactly people are looking forward to.

--
Alex P
Sent with Sparrow

robertj

Dec 19, 2012, 8:31:00 AM12/19/12
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com
As one of the principal organisators of this group
you cant "opt-in" or opt-out for that matter as you already planned to help ;-)

Alex P

Dec 20, 2012, 9:09:48 AM12/20/12
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com
I would like to build a simple bootstrapped interpreter of a very simple, super-minimalistic programming language.

Most likely with byte code compiler (JVM or BEAM based).

That would require some preparation from participants, of course, but I'd like to still keep it very small.

--
Alex P
Sent with Sparrow

sideshowcoder

Jan 14, 2013, 3:03:21 AM1/14/13
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com
Sounds really interesting if you need help with planing I'll be happy to help.

robertj

Jan 15, 2013, 4:43:57 PM1/15/13
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com
booked ;-)

sideshowcoder

May 10, 2013, 5:54:15 PM5/10/13
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com
Just to spark up this discussion again...

I was talking to Peter about another thing we might do as like a 'short' version of a hackathon, a 'Contribute to Open Source' night/evening, we could do this in a way where maybe in pairs we pick some bug/feature of a project we are interested in and work on this. There is a lot of stuff you can do in 2h or so, so this would even be feasible for our normal meetup instead of doing talks maybe. While we can give back something to the community by doing so, there is also the learning part about pair programming for example.

What do you guys think?

Greetings Phil

Sara Regan

May 10, 2013, 6:49:38 PM5/10/13
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com
No that I have the skills, but publicity wise, that is a really altruistic thing to do for the community :-)

Alex P

May 11, 2013, 5:06:24 AM5/11/13
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com
I'm totally up!

--
Alex P
Sent with Sparrow

Peter Schrammel

May 14, 2013, 5:13:23 PM5/14/13
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com
Schould we also have a list of bugs/features or just set a date for the
meeting and see what happens?

Philipp Fehre

May 15, 2013, 3:23:17 AM5/15/13
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com
I guess it would be great if everybody just thinks about which project/bugs/features they want to work on and why. I think we can handle the teamup via the introduction round. So we could just have some pizza and drinks after the introduction so the teams can form, and start working as soon as they are ready.

an email to rubyshift-muenchen+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rubyshift-muenchen/-/ySt_o4thdBIJ.

Alex P

May 15, 2013, 5:22:38 AM5/15/13
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com, philip...@googlemail.com
My suggestion would be to
a) announce a place (as far as I understand, Experteer would like to host the event)
b) open registration (let's say, for 25-30 places maximum)
c) during registration, ask people about interests
d) open a GH wiki, like that one: https://github.com/munichrubyshift/munichrubyshift.github.com/wiki/2013-Hackaton-Mid-July and write general idea for anyone who doesn't want to read through the email thread

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rubyshift-muenchen/-/ySt_o4thdBIJ.

Philipp Fehre

May 15, 2013, 12:06:09 PM5/15/13
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com
sounds good :)

Konrad

May 15, 2013, 12:16:21 PM5/15/13
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com
Make it so!

2013/5/15 Philipp Fehre <philip...@googlemail.com>
sounds good :)

Peter Schrammel

May 17, 2013, 2:58:49 AM5/17/13
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com
Page is up:

https://github.com/munichrubyshift/munichrubyshift.github.com/wiki/2013-Hackaton-Mid-July

As we'll have just one Hackathon/Hacknight before the summer holidays
I've set up only one page, depending on interests/projects we can
organize one or the other.

* Add your projects/ideas there and mail a short description on the
list. Currently it doesn't matter if it's too big for a hacknight or to
small for a hackathon. This won't be the last party we organise ;-)
* Register (I know registering without an exact date is hard but it will
be somewhere mid Juli), state what you prefer.
* If you would support a project please add yourself as supporter

I'm gone for the next two weeks (yes, I'll be offline and will survive)
so no comments until then.

CU
Peter

Peter Schrammel

Jun 6, 2013, 4:33:08 PM6/6/13
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com
Hmm ... not that many interested people here?

C'mon, don't wait till the last minute. At least show you interest so we
can plan the event.
Even if you're a ruby beginner you can contribute to the projects. We'll
break them down to feasable parts.
What's up with the railsgirls? Anybody here and want to join?

Peter

gabrielstein

Jun 6, 2013, 6:26:58 PM6/6/13
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com
I'm in. But more to learn with people and help with some organization task, like bring beer and so on.

Von meinem iPad gesendet

Peter Schrammel

Jun 7, 2013, 2:18:12 AM6/7/13
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com

Peter Schrammel

Jun 18, 2013, 4:06:20 PM6/18/13
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for this late update.

You might think I'm too bossy but I had to make some decisions so the
org is done and everybody can plan (signing up for a meeting with a lot
of undefined variables is not that inviting). So here we go:
The Ruby Hackathon will be from 12.7 17:00 - 13.7 22:00

Could sbd:
1. Set up a link on our webpage to the org page.
2. I don't know if everybody is on meetup already but sbd. could set up
the event there, too
3. Spread the word (twitter ... )
4. We need more projects so people can choose

Alex P

Jun 19, 2013, 4:55:26 AM6/19/13
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com

I've set up an event already:

http://www.meetup.com/Munich-Rubyshift-Ruby-User-Group/events/125381152/

You can start registering, in a meanwhile, we'll work on details (e.q. which projects, format and so on).

Thanks!