establish_connection is slow

saurabh verma

May 23, 2016, 5:06:53 PM5/23/16
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Hey Guys,
   I am running a service which has one controller action. I am connected to external db. For any db query, I am getting slow response. Looks like execution time is ok, but still there is some other delay which I am not able to figure out. When I am running this endpoint I am getting the following rails logging statement. I can understand active_record time, but don't know the remaining response time. I also tried to get the time spend for the method function1(mentioned in the below code), which is exactly same as total time(3561 ms)

Completed 200 OK in 3561.5ms (Views: 0.3ms | ActiveRecord: 644.8ms)

Here is my code

class MyModel < ActiveRecord::Base

   if Rails.env != 'test'
     establish_connection("#{Rails.env}")
   end

  class << self
    def function1
      self.first
    end
  end
end

database.yml

development:
  adapter: 'sqlserver'
  mode: 'dblib'
  host: 'MyHost'
  username: 'username'
  password: 'secret'
  database: 'MyDB'
  pool: 1

Colin Law

May 24, 2016, 3:54:53 AM5/24/16
to Ruby on Rails: Talk

Write a simple shell script to connect and run a query and see how long that takes. That will tell you if it is an issue connecting to the remote db

Colin