Webrick script/server file does not exist

Maria

May 10, 2011, 2:12:44 PM5/10/11
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Hello all,
I worked fairly enough with PHP and MySQL, but am very new to Ruby.
I have Windows machine with Apache and MySQL installed previously.
Both Apache and MySql were stopped while installing Ruby.
I tried several ways to install Ruby 1.8.7 and one-step installer.
I can use Ruby with netbeans 6.0.1 with its own Ruby or with the one I
installed now.

The problem starts when I try to create web ruby application.
The command
C:\Sites> rails new helloworld
creates the bunch of directories and files:
create
create README
create Rakefile
create config.ru
create .gitignore
create Gemfile
create app
create app/controllers/application_controller.rb
create app/helpers/application_helper.rb
create app/mailers
create app/models
create app/views/layouts/application.html.erb
create config
create config/routes.rb
create config/application.rb
create config/environment.rb
create config/environments
create config/environments/development.rb
create config/environments/production.rb
create config/environments/test.rb
create config/initializers
create config/initializers/backtrace_silencers.rb
create config/initializers/inflections.rb
create config/initializers/mime_types.rb
create config/initializers/secret_token.rb
create config/initializers/session_store.rb
create config/locales
create config/locales/en.yml
create config/boot.rb
create config/database.yml
create db
create db/seeds.rb
create doc
create doc/README_FOR_APP
create lib
create lib/tasks
create lib/tasks/.gitkeep
create log
create log/server.log
create log/production.log
create log/development.log
create log/test.log
create public
create public/404.html
create public/422.html
create public/500.html
create public/favicon.ico
create public/index.html
create public/robots.txt
create public/images
create public/images/rails.png
create public/stylesheets
create public/stylesheets/.gitkeep
create public/javascripts
create public/javascripts/application.js
create public/javascripts/controls.js
create public/javascripts/dragdrop.js
create public/javascripts/effects.js
create public/javascripts/prototype.js
create public/javascripts/rails.js
create script
create script/rails
create test
create test/fixtures
create test/functional
create test/integration
create test/performance/browsing_test.rb
create test/test_helper.rb
create test/unit
create tmp
create tmp/sessions
create tmp/sockets
create tmp/cache
create tmp/pids
create vendor/plugins
create vendor/plugins/.gitkeep

But as you can see script directory contains only one file
rails

Here is its content:

#!/usr/bin/env ruby.exe
# This command will automatically be run when you run "rails" with
Rails 3 gems installed from the root of your application.

APP_PATH = File.expand_path('../../config/application', __FILE__)
require File.expand_path('../../config/boot', __FILE__)
require 'rails/commands'

So the command
C:\Sites\helloworld\ruby script/server
to start WebRick does not work because script/server file does not
exist.

What do I do wrong? Please help

Here is the list of gems:

C:\Sites>gem list --local

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

abstract (1.0.0)
actionmailer (3.0.6)
actionpack (3.0.6)
activemodel (3.0.6)
activerecord (3.0.6)
activeresource (3.0.6)
activesupport (3.0.6)
arel (2.0.9)
builder (2.1.2)
bundler (1.0.12)
erubis (2.6.6)
i18n (0.5.0)
mail (2.2.15)
mime-types (1.16)
open4 (1.0.1)
pg (0.10.1)
Platform (0.4.0)
polyglot (0.3.1)
POpen4 (0.1.4)
rack (1.2.2)
rack-mount (0.6.14)
rack-test (0.5.7)
rails (3.0.6)
railties (3.0.6)
rake (0.8.7)
rb-readline (0.4.0)
rubyzip2 (2.0.1)
sqlite3 (1.3.3 x86-mingw32)
sqlite3-ruby (1.3.3)
thor (0.14.6)
treetop (1.4.9)
tzinfo (0.3.26)
win32-open3 (0.3.2 x86-mingw32)

Thank you in advance.
Maria

Frederick Cheung

May 11, 2011, 2:52:40 AM5/11/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com, Ruby on Rails: Talk

On 10 May 2011, at 19:12, Maria <mara...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
> I worked fairly enough with PHP and MySQL, but am very new to Ruby.
> I have Windows machine with Apache and MySQL installed previously.

[snip]

> But as you can see script directory contains only one file
> rails

The rails command line stuff changed a lot in rails 3, to start the server you now do rails server, to start the console it's rails console etc.

Fred

Javix

May 11, 2011, 4:01:49 AM5/11/11
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Started from Rails 3, the syntax to start a server is:

rails server

or shorter:

rails s

Regards

garibake

May 11, 2011, 4:29:32 AM5/11/11
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Hi,

In rails 3 the file in the script folder is called 'rails' and you
need to pass in server (or s) as a parameter i.e.

ruby script\rails server

Hopefully it should now work

Gary

Norm Scherer

May 11, 2011, 5:04:53 PM5/11/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
You are running rails 3. The command to start the server is 'rails server'.

maria johns

May 11, 2011, 11:15:37 PM5/11/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much. I realize it now.