Localhost:3000 using IE on parallels

Robert Will

Mar 20, 2011, 8:14:22 PM3/20/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hey Guys,

I am at my wits end over this issue.

I have a rails app up and running using WEBrick on localhost:3000 from
my mac, everything is fine.

I would like to test my app in IE, so i am running parallels. To access
localhost from IE on the virtual machine, i use MYCOMPUTERNAME.local in
the address bar of IE. This serves up the "it works!" page no problem.
However, when i specify port 3000, i keep getting "internet explorer
cannot display webpage".

MYCOMPUTERNAME.local:3000

I have also tried using the information i get from the command window on
my virtual machine after doing ipconfig.

IPv4 address - 10.211.55.3
Default gateway - 10.211.55.1

If i use 10.211.55.2 i get the "it works!" page, if i add :3000 i get
nothing.

This is driving me crazy, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bobby

Sebastian Gräßl

Mar 20, 2011, 8:20:43 PM3/20/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hej Bobby,

try to add "http://" to the url.
this is a weird issue in ie it cuts the http somehow if you specify a port.

best,
sebastian

--------------------------
Sebastian Gräßl

Robert Will

Mar 21, 2011, 4:59:39 AM3/21/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hey Sebastian,

I already had "http://" in the URL. I just double checked again and
still no joy?

Frederick Cheung

Mar 21, 2011, 5:36:40 AM3/21/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com, rubyonra...@googlegroups.com

On 21 Mar 2011, at 08:59, Robert Will <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> Hey Sebastian,
>
> I already had "http://" in the URL. I just double checked again and
> still no joy?

It depends on how exactly parallels does its virtual networking stuff, but you might want to check that your app isn't just bound to localhost and that you haven't got any firewall shenanigans going on

Fred

> Thanks,
>
> Bobby

Michael Pavling

Mar 21, 2011, 5:43:10 AM3/21/11
On 21 March 2011 09:36, Frederick Cheung <frederic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 Mar 2011, at 08:59, Robert Will <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
>> I already had "http://" in the URL.  I just double checked again and
>> still no joy?
>
> It depends on how exactly parallels does its virtual networking stuff, but you might want to check that your app isn't just bound to localhost and that you haven't got any firewall shenanigans going on

+1

I'm not familiar with Parallels, but Virtualbox has similar issues.
When I set up a new VM, I need to ensure the networking is set to
"bridged" rather than "NAT". If it's on NAT, the VM can get out, but
nothing can get in.