Bluehost - Rails 3

Bruno Meira

Apr 27, 2012, 12:45:17 AM4/27/12
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Folks,
I developed an application using Rails 3.1.3. I would like to deploy it on bluehost(I have one account there)
I tried hard to do it, but I could'nt deploy it. Does anyone know how to deploy in this provider???

Thx,
Bruno Meira

Colin Law

Apr 27, 2012, 3:54:47 AM4/27/12
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I don't know anything about Bluehost but the first hit on Google was
https://my.bluehost.com/cgi/help/rails

Colin

Ben Eggett

Apr 27, 2012, 4:32:55 AM4/27/12
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Good luck. Bluehost is a good cheap host for static sites/simple applications, and the low price point is appealing, but it is VERY difficult to achieve the results you want out of a cheap shared host provider. You will have to have shell access. If your app requires any real processing, you will find it very difficult/unreliable to achieve it through bluehost. Although they say they support rails, their performance is marginal at best. Is there a reason you are not using heroku? or linode? or slicehost? or engineyard? These providers are all MUCH better RoR hosts than bluehost.

My point here is not to rail on bluehost, they are good for what they are. But they are not good at handling RoR apps in my experience/opinion.

Ben

Victor Goff

Apr 27, 2012, 1:01:34 AM4/27/12
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Request an SSH account there, and install it that way?

It has been now maybe 4 years since I had a BlueHost account, but that is what I would think.

Rails is something that they had in the past available... but you had to go with what versions they had supported under their cPanel (at the time, now they use something other than cPanel, I believe).  That is, unless you had ssh access.  Then you were pretty much free to mangle your site as you wish.

Kevin Bedell

Apr 27, 2012, 7:40:06 AM4/27/12
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Forget blue host. Get an account on heroku and push it there.

If you're going to be a rails developer you need to know how to use github and heroku. This is a good time for you to learn heroku.

I believe it's free for a single small project.

Sent from my iPhone

Dheeraj Kumar

Apr 27, 2012, 7:42:54 AM4/27/12
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Rails on a shared hosting? HA!

Get a free Heroku account for development & testing, a cloud hosting, VPS or a dedicated server for deployment.

Dheeraj Kumar

Max Schubert

Apr 27, 2012, 8:19:36 AM4/27/12
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Linode.com is a great VPS provider if you are looking for low cost,
great avilability and lots of flexibility for your Rails apps.

Max

On 4/27/12, Dheeraj Kumar <a.dheer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rails on a shared hosting? HA!
>
> Get a free Heroku account for development & testing, a cloud hosting, VPS or
> a dedicated server for deployment.
>

> Dheeraj Kumar
>

> On Friday 27 April 2012 at 5:10 PM, Kevin Bedell wrote:
>
>> Forget blue host. Get an account on heroku and push it there.
>>
>> If you're going to be a rails developer you need to know how to use github
>> and heroku. This is a good time for you to learn heroku.
>>
>> I believe it's free for a single small project.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Apr 27, 2012, at 12:45 AM, Bruno Meira <goes...@gmail.com
>> (mailto:goes...@gmail.com)> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Folks,
>> > I developed an application using Rails 3.1.3. I would like to deploy it
>> > on bluehost(I have one account there)
>> > I tried hard to do it, but I could'nt deploy it. Does anyone know how to
>> > deploy in this provider???
>> >
>> > Thx,
>> > Bruno Meira
>> >

>> > --

Bruno Meira

Apr 27, 2012, 9:17:35 AM4/27/12
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Ok guys,
As I can see Bluehost is not a good solution for me.
I will take a look better in one of these other providers.
Thx :D

Aziz Bookwala

Apr 27, 2012, 10:21:33 AM4/27/12
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
My host, Webfaction is a shared host, that supports Rails. They have awesome service too.
- Aziz M. Bookwala

Kevin Bedell

Apr 27, 2012, 10:41:56 AM4/27/12
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Even if you have free hosting on a lesser known service, paying even a
small amount is still worth going to heroku. Rails developers need to
understand how to do cloud deployment in general and Heroku is what
most people are using.

Here's a write up from one of the better rails consultancies in the
country on their thoughts on rails application hosting.

http://playbook.thoughtbot.com/preparing-production-environment/application-hosting/