source level debuggin

Ben Edwards

Oct 1, 2017, 1:15:20 PM10/1/17
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Bit of googeling show it seems to be possible to do source level debugging in Aptana but cant find setup instructions.  Can someone please point me in the correct direction.  Or if not be good to get info on IDEs where you can.  Ime currently using a RubyMine evaluation but was wondering if there was a FOSS solution.

Hassan Schroeder

Oct 1, 2017, 2:24:03 PM10/1/17
to rubyonrails-talk
On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 10:15 AM, Ben Edwards <lo...@funkytwig.com> wrote:
> Bit of googeling show it seems to be possible to do source level debugging
> in Aptana but cant find setup instructions. Can someone please point me in
> the correct direction. Or if not be good to get info on IDEs where you can.

Very few Rails developers use IDEs.

Have you read this?

http://guides.rubyonrails.org/debugging_rails_applications.html

--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.s...@gmail.com
twitter: @hassan

Brendon

Oct 2, 2017, 4:41:30 PM10/2/17
to Ruby on Rails: Talk

On Sunday, October 1, 2017 at 11:24:03 AM UTC-7, Hassan Schroeder wrote:
On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 10:15 AM, Ben Edwards <lo...@funkytwig.com> wrote:
> Bit of googeling show it seems to be possible to do source level debugging
> in Aptana but cant find setup instructions.  Can someone please point me in
> the correct direction.  Or if not be good to get info on IDEs where you can.

Very few Rails developers use IDEs.

I've always used Rubymine from the same folks who make the IDE that Google uses for Android and a long history of Java IDE tools.

I don't know where Hassan gets the statistics to support what most users are doing, but I certainly know a lot of folks who wouldn't forgo the efficiencies of an IDE.

I did try Aptana a long time ago, so can't offer any help now. Rubymine makes it trivial to set a breakpoint in your Rails and then watch values, step, etc.

Brendon.

Joe Guerra

Oct 2, 2017, 4:44:35 PM10/2/17
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
I've been using Rubymine as well.  Is there any video out there that covers the source level debugging?

Thanks,
Joe

Hassan Schroeder

Oct 2, 2017, 5:43:08 PM10/2/17
to rubyonrails-talk
On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 1:41 PM, Brendon <bre...@darkindigo.com> wrote:

> I don't know where Hassan gets the statistics to support what most users are
> doing, but I certainly know a lot of folks who wouldn't forgo the
> efficiencies of an IDE.

Of all the Rails developers I know personally there's *one* who
uses Rubymine. And that question has come up on the mailing
list over the years where lots of people have offered the same
response.

> makes it trivial to set a breakpoint in your Rails and then watch values,
> step, etc.

Not sure how it could be appreciably easier than using `pry` but I'm
just not an IDE person. (And yes, I've tried Rubymine, Aptana, etc.
in the past and found they only slowed me down, so... whatevs.)

Ben Edwards

Oct 15, 2017, 9:26:25 AM10/15/17
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
I have been using ruby mine I find the productivity gain is sugnificant.  Mainly due to the source level debugging.  The main reason is you can easily look at the values for all the varables.  you dont have to decide whitch ones to look at and add print statements.  Using print statemenet I find i add a cople, do a run, then realise I need some more and add more....

Aptana can also do source level debugging but I havent played with it.

Ben