License for Guides structure?

Trek Glowacki

Mar 11, 2012, 12:06:13 PM3/11/12
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Apologies if this has been asked/answered before, but I couldn't find anyone talking about it: are the Guides materials themselves – icons, markup, css, colors, images, etc – released under a particular license. I don't have any particular use in mind, but I'd imagine the general Guides format would be useful as entirely self-contained project for people writing guides for other projects.

- @trek

Ryan Bigg

Mar 12, 2012, 2:52:43 PM3/12/12
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
It says in the footer of the guides site "This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License". Is that what you were looking for?

On Sunday, 11 March 2012 at 9:06 AM, Trek Glowacki wrote:

Apologies if this has been asked/answered before, but I couldn't find anyone talking about it: are the Guides materials themselves – icons, markup, css, colors, images, etc – released under a particular license. I don't have any particular use in mind, but I'd imagine the general Guides format would be useful as entirely self-contained project for people writing guides for other projects.

- @trek

Trek Glowacki

Mar 14, 2012, 1:51:26 PM3/14/12
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I saw that, but there's still a question of what "the work" constitues.  In most uses it's intended to mean the content (text and explanatory images) but not necessarily parts that provide functionality (in this case the javascript and css) and almost never the "trade dress"

If I saw the same disclaimer on a blog post I would assume it applied to the text but not the visual design of the author's site or copyrighted materials he used to make the side (e.g. jquery).

- @trek

On Monday, March 12, 2012 2:52:43 PM UTC-4, Ryan Bigg wrote:
It says in the footer of the guides site "This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License". Is that what you were looking for?

On Sunday, 11 March 2012 at 9:06 AM, Trek Glowacki wrote:

Apologies if this has been asked/answered before, but I couldn't find anyone talking about it: are the Guides materials themselves – icons, markup, css, colors, images, etc – released under a particular license. I don't have any particular use in mind, but I'd imagine the general Guides format would be useful as entirely self-contained project for people writing guides for other projects.

- @trek

Ryan Bigg

Mar 14, 2012, 1:52:57 PM3/14/12
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I believe it's all (text, CSS and images) covered under the CC license. The generation component of the guides was even extracted out into a gem by Yehuda here: https://github.com/wycats/guides. Feel free to distribute, just attribute where you should.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rubyonrails-docs/-/TV1mbQcXVaEJ.