Use pregenerated binstubs in guides?

Josef Šimánek

Apr 8, 2014, 4:01:00 AM4/8/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hello.

It looks like some users reading getting started guide are confused ([example](https://github.com/bundler/bundler/issues/2974)).

It will be nice to prepare one small paragraph (probably [here](https://github.com/rails/rails/blob/master/guides/source/getting_started.md#starting-up-the-web-server)) with information about bundler and how to use it or use binstubs generated for Rails4+ projects by in examples. Instead of ` rails server` just simply use `bin/rails server`.

Because now some parts of this guide are not true.

Few examples:

*The best way to use this guide is to follow each step as it happens, no code or step needed to make this example application has been left out, so you can literally follow along step by step.*

*This guide is designed for beginners who want to get started with a Rails application from scratch. It does not assume that you have any prior experience with Rails. However, to get the most out of it, you need to have some prerequisites installed:*

* The Ruby language version 1.9.3 or newer.
* The RubyGems packaging system, which is installed with Ruby versions 1.9 and later. To learn more about RubyGems, please read the RubyGems Guides.
* A working installation of the SQLite3 Database.

I would like to submit PR for this, but I don't know which way will be preferred.

Yves Senn

May 19, 2014, 3:40:46 AM5/19/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hey Josef,

A PR that promotes the use of bin/* would be great. It is the suggested way to run `rails` and `rake`.
Feel free to mention me on the PR if you have questions or for review.

Cheers,
-- Yves

Steve Klabnik

May 19, 2014, 2:07:11 PM5/19/14