feature suggestion for nested - nested attributes

Benjamin Roth

Aug 21, 2015, 11:26:49 AM8/21/15
to Ruby on Rails: Core
Hi,

I made a patch today to my code to solve a use case and wonder whether or not it would be useful for ActiveRecord users in general.

My setup is

class Form
  has_many :sections
  has_many :questions, through: :sections
  accepts_nested_attributes_for :sections
class

class Section
  belongs_to :form
  has_many :questions
  accepts_nested_attributes_for :questions
class

class Question
  belongs_to :section
end

My form lets the user edit sections and questions. Drag and drop is also allowed to change question order but also to change the section it belongs to.

With Rails code as is, it fails with a NotFound error, which is expected because each section looks for its own questions whenever a question has an `id` attribute:  https://github.com/rails/rails/blob/d9715fcde450cebec3aeff74d4d39db5542d6625/activerecord/lib/active_record/nested_attributes.rb#L453

I'd suggest something like:

class Section
  belongs_to :form
  has_many :questions
  accepts_nested_attributes_for :questions, scope: ->{ form.questions }
class

to fetch existing records based on a custom scope.

Is this a desired feature? Should I submit a pull request?

Benjamin