Will RubyMotion ever support creating command line executables?

Eric Henderson

Feb 24, 2015, 1:34:00 PM2/24/15
to rubym...@googlegroups.com
In Xcode, you can create a OS X project that compiles to a single unix executable, instead of to a .app bundle.  I would really love to have this in RubyMotion, and I was wondering if there are any plans to ever support this.

Does anyone know if/when RM will support this?  Are there any alternatives that allow me to use Ruby to build a single, fully-packaged (including any used gems, but not necessarily the runtime library) OS X command-line executable?  It doesn't have to allow me to use objective-c classes as long as I can use existing MRI-compatible ruby gems.  If anyone knows how I can create a single, fully-packaged (minus the JRuby runtime/lib, but including all required files and gems) jar file with JRuby, that would probably serve the purposes I need.

I'm basically looking for something that allows me to have a single, command-line-compatible, pre-compiled file that includes all ruby code involved.

Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

Eric Henderson

Eric Henderson

Feb 24, 2015, 1:37:51 PM2/24/15
to rubym...@googlegroups.com
I should mention that my goal with this is to reduce initialization speed since I use some gems that take more time to load than I really like.

Eric Henderson

Joffrey Jaffeux

Feb 24, 2015, 5:50:59 PM2/24/15
to rubym...@googlegroups.com

Eric Henderson

Feb 24, 2015, 5:58:30 PM2/24/15
to rubym...@googlegroups.com
That looks to be an example for how to extend the motion command with a new sub-command, rather than how to create a stand-alone executable.

Eric Henderson

Colin T.A. Gray

Feb 24, 2015, 6:19:36 PM2/24/15
to rubym...@googlegroups.com