Building ruby 2.4.1 - configure 'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

Luc Vu Nang

Apr 8, 2017, 3:12:39 AM4/8/17
to RubyInstaller
This is my first time to try to build ruby from source on Windows.

I installed devkit then try to do "configure" and get this.

D:\src\ruby-2.4.1\ruby-2.4.1>.\win32\configure
'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

What is this error and how to fix this? Ruby does not run make by default but using nmake on Windows?

hellio6

Apr 9, 2017, 9:45:38 PM4/9/17
to RubyInstaller
Please skip this. This is now ok after I install Visual studio C++ and using the command line tool of it.