Ruby 2.0.0 with DevKit bundle install fails on rdiscount-2.1.7 undefined reference to COINTOSS

Francis Chan

Jun 2, 2014, 12:32:07 PM6/2/14
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
I'm Trying to set up a Ruby environment for Jekyll for GitHub Pages https://help.github.com/articles/using-jekyll-with-pages

  • Ruby 2.0.0-p481
  • Unpacked DevKit-mingw64-32-4.7.2-20130224-1151-sfx.exe
  • Ran ruby dk.rb init
  • Ran ruby dk.rb install
Things move along then the installation stops at:
  • rdiscount-2.1.7 undefined reference to COINTOSS
My system has never had Ruby installed (nor any prior DevKit).  I'm running a Windows 8.1 64-bit but using the 32-bit Ruby packages.

Anyone seen this before?

Thanks!

Francis Chan

Jun 2, 2014, 3:43:35 PM6/2/14
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
Figure it out... my AVS (avast) was detecting what he thinks was a virus in the [C:\Ruby200\lib\ruby\gems\2.0.0\gems\rdiscount-2.1.7\ext\conftest.exe].  I'm trusting this is a false positive and added that exe to the exclusion list for Avast's Deepscreen thing-a-mabob.

My bundle install now works.

Luis Lavena

Jun 2, 2014, 6:17:32 PM6/2/14
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
Hello Francis and welcome,

I was going to suggest if you could provide the output you're getting during the gem installation, but seems you've answered your own question.

Sometimes AV software thinks of configuration executables are viruses due the contents (test link some libraries) or the short span of time they live (since are configure scripts they are created and removed)

Every couple of months we receive some false positives form different AV software that signals RubyInstaller, the DevKit or some binary gems as having viruses.

The machine that produces RubyInstaller and the DevKit is a pristine Windows 7 x64 machine secured with Microsoft Security Essentials and no other software beyond Chrome, Sublime Text and ImDisk is installed.

Regards,

--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17

Francis Chan

Jun 3, 2014, 2:34:39 PM6/3/14
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Luis.

Yeah I guess on first run I didn't see Avast sandboxing the .exe but good to know it's a false positive.

Cheers!