Process stopped while executing "Gem Install Rails"

Vinno Christmantara

May 27, 2014, 3:44:14 PM5/27/14
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
I'm using:
Windows 8 - 64 bit
Ruby version: ruby 1.9.3p545 (2014-02-24) [i386-mingw32]
Gem version: 1.8.28
DevKit file version: DevKit-tdm-32-4.5.2-20111229-1559-sfx.exe

I have an error and process stopped while executing command-line "gem install rails". The process stopped on this line:

ERROR:  While generating documentation for actionpack-4.1.1
... MESSAGE:   Invalid argument - ./ActionDispatch/Routing/Mapper/Scoping/:
... RDOC args: --ri --op C:/Ruby193/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/doc/actionpack-4.1.1/ri
lib --title actionpack-4.1.1 Documentation --quiet

But when I executing "rails -v" on command-line, it's output "Rails 4.1.1".

Luis Lavena

May 28, 2014, 7:53:54 AM5/28/14
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
Hello and welcome,

Please see my responses inline.

Actually the "error" is an exception, triggered by Ruby documentation generator (RDoc) that is captured by RubyGems.

If you take a closer look to the output screenshot you attached, you will see above all the "Installing ri documentation" messages a success message "29 gems installed"

The issue with the documentation generator may be solved by updating RDoc (gem update rdoc).

I've seen a few reports of this issue and seems is something related to a specific piece of documentation in newer version of Rails.

To summarize: gems did install successfully. The error message is during documentation generation that might be solved by doing "gem update rdoc" first.

Hope that helps,
--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17

Peter Fendrich

Oct 14, 2014, 5:03:06 PM10/14/14
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Luis,
This helped me!

--
Peter Fendrich

isis lvx

Mar 23, 2015, 1:27:45 AM3/23/15
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com

Thank you for this information. I'm a noob and this gem deal is driving me crazy. Very good and helpful post.