Devkit smoke test fails

minddazed

Nov 24, 2010, 4:28:16 PM11/24/10
to RubyInstaller
I submitted one of those google spreadsheet forms, but I wasn't sure
how I would be contacted about my problem, so I'm reposting here.

I'm on:
Windows XP
Ruby 1.8.7 (using rubyinstaller)
Devkit 4.5.0

My installation fails on step 5 (smoke test) the following error:

C:\devkit>gem install rdiscount --platform=ruby
Temporarily enhancing PATH to include DevKit...
ERROR: Error installing rdiscount:

C:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
C:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe: No such file or directory -- extconf.rb
(LoadError)

Gem files will remain installed in C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/
rdiscount-1.6.5 for inspection.
Results logged to C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rdiscount-1.6.5/ext/
gem_make.out

This is what my PATH looks like:
PATH=C:\Program Files\GnuWin32\bin;C:\ruby\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:
\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wb
em;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\;c:\Program Files\Common Files
\Lenovo;C:\Program Files\Common Fil
es\Roxio Shared\10.0\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio
Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Fil
es\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\Common Files
\Roxio Shared\10.0\DLLShared\;C
:\Program Files\cvsnt;c:\cqs\core\unxutils\usr\local\wbin;c:\cqs\core
\nant-0-85\bin;C:\WINDOWS\syste
m32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\Program Files\Common Files\DivX Shared
\;C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL S
erver 5.1\bin;C:\Program Files\Notepad++;C:\Program Files\QuickTime
\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files\SSH C
ommunications Security\SSH Secure Shell;C:\Program Files\CVSNT\

Luis Lavena

Nov 24, 2010, 4:34:19 PM11/24/10
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 6:28 PM, minddazed <mind...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I submitted one of those google spreadsheet forms, but I wasn't sure
> how I would be contacted about my problem, so I'm reposting here.
>
> I'm on:
> Windows XP
> Ruby 1.8.7 (using rubyinstaller)
> Devkit 4.5.0
>
> My installation fails on step 5 (smoke test) the following error:
>
> C:\devkit>gem install rdiscount --platform=ruby
> Temporarily enhancing PATH to include DevKit...
> Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
> ERROR:  Error installing rdiscount:
>        ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
>
> C:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
> C:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe: No such file or directory -- extconf.rb
> (LoadError)

Can you provide the output of "gem env" ?

For some reason is unable to get into the directory where rdiscount
was extracted. Did you install Ruby using Administrator rights?

--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17

Julie

Nov 24, 2010, 4:37:09 PM11/24/10
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
C:\devkit>gem env
RubyGems Environment:
  - RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.7
  - RUBY VERSION: 1.8.7 (2010-08-16 patchlevel 302) [i386-mingw32]
  - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  - RUBY EXECUTABLE: C:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe
  - EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: C:/ruby/bin
  - RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
    - ruby
    - x86-mingw32
  - GEM PATHS:
     - C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
     - C:/Documents and Settings/[Name]/.gem/ruby/1.8
  - GEM CONFIGURATION:
     - :update_sources => true
     - :verbose => true
     - :benchmark => false
     - :backtrace => false
     - :bulk_threshold => 1000
  - REMOTE SOURCES:
     - http://rubygems.org/

Yes, Ruby was installed with Admin account.

Luis Lavena

Nov 24, 2010, 4:48:45 PM11/24/10
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Julie <mind...@gmail.com> wrote:
> C:\devkit>gem env
> RubyGems Environment:
>   - RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.7
>   - RUBY VERSION: 1.8.7 (2010-08-16 patchlevel 302) [i386-mingw32]
>   - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
>   - RUBY EXECUTABLE: C:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe
>   - EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: C:/ruby/bin
>   - RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
>     - ruby
>     - x86-mingw32
>   - GEM PATHS:
>      - C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
>      - C:/Documents and Settings/[Name]/.gem/ruby/1.8
>   - GEM CONFIGURATION:
>      - :update_sources => true
>      - :verbose => true
>      - :benchmark => false
>      - :backtrace => false
>      - :bulk_threshold => 1000
>   - REMOTE SOURCES:
>      - http://rubygems.org/
>
> Yes, Ruby was installed with Admin account.

Thank you. Are you also running Ruby or executing gem install from an
Admin command prompt (eg. Run As)?

Asking this because if you installed Ruby as admin but not running the
gem install as it, it will be possible you don't have permissions to
write to these folders.

Can you cd into the rdiscount folder:

cd C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\rdiscount-1.6.5\ext\

And try to execute the following command?

ruby -rdevkit extconf.rb

Try the above command in a normal prompt, and if it fails, into an
elevated (Admin) command prompt.

Then paste the results here for us to inspect.

Thank you.

Julie

Nov 24, 2010, 5:04:19 PM11/24/10
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
I'm running the command prompt as the Admin user I installed ruby with. Here's the output of "ruby -rdevkit extconf.rb" using the same user (it did not fail):

C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\rdiscount-1.6.5\ext>ruby -rdevkit extconf.rb

Temporarily enhancing PATH to include DevKit...
checking for random()... no
checking for srandom()... no
checking for rand()... yes
checking for srand()... yes
creating Makefile

Luis Lavena

Nov 24, 2010, 5:07:17 PM11/24/10
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Julie <mind...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running the command prompt as the Admin user I installed ruby with.
> Here's the output of "ruby -rdevkit extconf.rb" using the same user (it did
> not fail):
>
> C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\rdiscount-1.6.5\ext>ruby -rdevkit extconf.rb
> Temporarily enhancing PATH to include DevKit...
> checking for random()... no
> checking for srandom()... no
> checking for rand()... yes
> checking for srand()... yes
> creating Makefile

Thank you.

One last thing to try out, and bear with me for a second.

1) Manually remove rdiscount directory:

rd /s/q C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\rdiscount-1.6.5

2) Attempt to install rdiscount, but this time with debug and verbose options:

gem install rdiscount --platform=ruby --debug --verbose

3) Collect the results and use Gist or Pastie to share with us:

http://pastie.org/
http://gist.github.com/

Julie

Nov 24, 2010, 5:16:36 PM11/24/10
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
debug results here:

http://pastie.org/1324159

Luis Lavena

Nov 25, 2010, 2:16:08 PM11/25/10
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 7:16 PM, Julie <mind...@gmail.com> wrote:
> debug results here:
>
> http://pastie.org/1324159

Hello,

I cannot think any reason that will fail precisely during the
extension compilation.

Can I ask which command prompt interpreter are you using? cmd.exe I guess?

Thomas Egret

Nov 26, 2010, 3:41:51 AM11/26/10
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
yes i used cmd.exe.

I received another email from someone else who send me a discussion between two people. There were that link in it :  https://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/tree/dk-installer

Dunno if it works. I let you know about the link you gave me. thx

Luis Lavena

Nov 26, 2010, 6:50:56 AM11/26/10
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com

Sorry for top posting.
Can you send me the link to that discussion? The installer is not ready for general usage

Sent from mobile.

On Nov 26, 2010 8:46 AM, "Thomas Egret" <thomas...@gmail.com> wrote:

yes i used cmd.exe.

I received another email from someone else who send me a discussion between two people. There were that link in it :  https://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/tree/dk-installer

Dunno if it works. I let you know about the link you gave me. thx

2010/11/25 Luis Lavena <luisl...@gmail.com>

> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 7:16 PM, Julie <mind...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > debug results here:

Jon

Nov 26, 2010, 8:59:54 AM11/26/10
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
> yes i used cmd.exe.
>
> I received another email from someone else who send me a discussion between
> two people. There were that link in it :
> https://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/tree/dk-installer

Thomas,

That link is to an "in progress" development branch I started for an upcoming enhancement (a "true" installer) to the DevKit. I gave the link in response to DevKit enhancement comments from Vit.

While I'd love to have contributions to that branch, that link will not help with the issue you and Luis are investigating. Unfortunately, it's a red herring for your discussion. ;)

Please continue to use the 4.5.0 DevKit's available from http://rubyinstaller.org/downloads for your issue. Luis may want you to try a 4.5.1 DevKit later, but we'll see.

Jon

Julie

Nov 29, 2010, 2:16:17 PM11/29/10
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
Yes. I'm using cmd.exe.

The odd thing is that there are two other developers working on the same project as me. Neither of them had any problems with getting devkit installed and we have pretty similar environments.

I don't know if this is helpful at all, but I had the full installation of mingw on my comp before I installed devkit. Could there be an issue with make.exe competing?

Thanks,
Julie

Jon

Nov 30, 2010, 12:52:34 PM11/30/10
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
> Yes. I'm using cmd.exe.
>
> The odd thing is that there are two other developers working on the same
> project as me. Neither of them had any problems with getting devkit
> installed and we have pretty similar environments.
>
> I don't know if this is helpful at all, but I had the full installation of
> mingw on my comp before I installed devkit. Could there be an issue with
> make.exe competing?
>
> Thanks,
> Julie

Are you still having problems? Which specific XP version? Did you try things after disabling all AntiVirus sw?

Also, give us a pastie showing both C:\ruby\lib\ruby\site_ruby\devkit.rb and C:\ruby187\lib\ruby\site_ruby\1.8\rubygems\defaults\operating_system.rb. Mine look like http://pastie.org/1335898

It may make sense to do an uninstall and new install of both RubyInstaller and the DevKit. I'm with Luis and cannot yet see what's failing.

If everything is working as expected with the DevKit, I doubt an existing make.exe will compete as the DevKit overrides put the DevKit locations first on PATH. That said, after a reinstall of both I'd like to see the results using a clean PATH...a helper bat similar to the following:

# cleanpath.bat (assuming you installed Ruby1.8.7 to C:\ruby)
@echo OFF
echo Setting minimal PATH...
set PATH=C:\ruby\bin;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem

Jon
---
http://jonforums.github.com/

Luis Lavena

Nov 30, 2010, 2:35:04 PM11/30/10
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 4:16 PM, Julie <mind...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes. I'm using cmd.exe.
>
> The odd thing is that there are two other developers working on the same
> project as me. Neither of them had any problems with getting devkit
> installed and we have pretty similar environments.
>
> I don't know if this is helpful at all, but I had the full installation of
> mingw on my comp before I installed devkit. Could there be an issue with
> make.exe competing?

Perhaps you have a bash_profile or any dot file in your %HOME% folder?

Beyond that, I don't see what else could be causing the problem.

Please follow Jon's instructions, install again and report the
contents of the devit and operating_system.rb files

If the issue still continues, please create a pastie of your home
directory contents (dir /a) and look for any dot file that could be
interfering (.bashrc .bash_profile etc)

Regards,

Julie

Dec 16, 2010, 7:50:37 PM12/16/10
to RubyInstaller
@Jon

I'm still having problems. I'm on XP Professional SP3. I tried
disabling anti-virus and attempting another rdiscount install, but I
get the same error about no "extconf.rb".

Here's my pastie of the two files: http://pastie.org/1384332

Actually, prior to posting here, I did brand new installs of both Ruby
and Devkit just to rule out any weirdness, so I don't think doing that
again will help.

In any event, I cleaned my path and tried to install rdiscount again.
Here's my PATH and (same) result:

C:\>PATH
PATH=C:\ruby\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS
\System32\Wbem

C:\>gem install rdiscount --platform=ruby

Temporarily enhancing PATH to include DevKit...
ERROR: Error installing rdiscount:

C:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
C:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe: No such file or directory -- extconf.rb
(LoadError)

Gem files will remain installed in C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/
rdiscount-1.6.5 for inspection.
Results logged to C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rdiscount-1.6.5/ext/
gem_make.out

@Luis

Here's a listing of my home directory: http://pastie.org/1384392

Nothing sticks out to me, but maybe I'm not looking for the right
thing...

I appreciate both of your help on this! Hopefully we can figure this
out!

Julie

Luis Lavena

Dec 16, 2010, 7:58:45 PM12/16/10
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 9:50 PM, Julie <mind...@gmail.com> wrote:
> @Luis
>
> Here's a listing of my home directory: http://pastie.org/1384392
>
> Nothing sticks out to me, but maybe I'm not looking for the right
> thing...
>

> I appreciate both of your help on this! Hopefully we can figure this
> out!

This is plain weird.

Would you mind perform another test?

1) Remove the rdiscount gem:

RD C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\rdiscount-1.6.5 /S /Q

2) Get the following environment variables ouput:

SET PATH
SET HOME
SET USERPROFILE

3) Now, just for checking, do the following, and also provide the output:

ruby -rdevkit -e "system('SET PATH')"

4) Let's try another gem, but this time, we are going to debug the whole thing:

gem install RedCloth --platform=ruby --debug --verbose

5) Generate a pastie of the full output

If we can't get more data, will like to chat with you (GTalk?) and see
if we can use Skype or CrossLoop for me to check this remotely.

Thank you and apologize all the issues and back and forth on this subject.

Jon

Dec 16, 2010, 9:15:29 PM12/16/10
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 9:50 PM, Julie <mind...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > @Luis
> >
> > Here's a listing of my home directory: http://pastie.org/1384392
> >
> > Nothing sticks out to me, but maybe I'm not looking for the right
> > thing...
> >

> > I appreciate both of your help on this! Hopefully we can figure this
> > out!
> >

> This is plain weird.
>
> Would you mind perform another test?
>
> 1) Remove the rdiscount gem:
>
> RD C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\rdiscount-1.6.5 /S /Q
>
> 2) Get the following environment variables ouput:
>
> SET PATH
> SET HOME
> SET USERPROFILE
>
> 3) Now, just for checking, do the following, and also provide the output:
>
> ruby -rdevkit -e "system('SET PATH')"
>
> 4) Let's try another gem, but this time, we are going to debug the whole thing:
>
> gem install RedCloth --platform=ruby --debug --verbose
>
> 5) Generate a pastie of the full output
>
> If we can't get more data, will like to chat with you (GTalk?) and see
> if we can use Skype or CrossLoop for me to check this remotely.
>
> Thank you and apologize all the issues and back and forth on this subject.

Definitely try Luis' suggestions first, but if none of the above helps find the gremlin, I noticed that the DevKit helper files were an old version. If you've upgraded to the latest 4.5.1 version they should look something like http://pastie.org/1384498

I'd don't see how an updated DevKit would help, but it's worth checking only after none of the above works.

The only other things I'd add are:

a) can you install non-native gems like "gem install citrus"? I'm guessing yet, but just to be sure.

b) what happens when you do the following after a failed rdiscount install? I couldn't tell from your email whether you were in rdiscount's "ext" dir when you tried to run "extconf.rb"

cd C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\rdiscount-1.6.5\ext
ruby -rdevkit extconf.rb

..or if above doesn't create a Makefile try
ruby -I. -rdevkit extconf.rb

..or maybe
ruby -IC:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rdiscount-1.6.5/ext -rdevkit extconf.rb

I'm guessing on the last two, but it's odd ruby can't find the extconf.rb. I'm hoping it's just that you weren't in the "ext" dir ;)

Jon

Julie

Dec 18, 2010, 8:16:38 PM12/18/10
to RubyInstaller
@Luis

Here's a pastie of the steps you asked me to try: http://pastie.org/1388721

At this point I'd be glad to have someone do a screen sharing with me
to help get this resolved.

================

@Jon

I updated devkit to 4.5.1. My files look identical to your pastie now.

>>a) can you install non-native gems like "gem install citrus"? I'm guessing yet, but just to be sure.
I can install non-native gems fine:

C:\>gem install citrus
Successfully installed citrus-2.2.2
1 gem installed
Installing ri documentation for citrus-2.2.2...
Installing RDoc documentation for citrus-2.2.2...

>>b) what happens when you do the following after a failed rdiscount install? I couldn't tell from your email whether you were in rdiscount's "ext" dir when you tried to run "extconf.rb"

I think Luis had me try this earlier, but it does create the Makefile:

C:\>cd C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\rdiscount-1.6.5\ext

C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\rdiscount-1.6.5\ext>ruby -rdevkit
extconf.rb
Temporarily enhancing PATH to include DevKit...

Luis Lavena

Dec 19, 2010, 12:14:38 PM12/19/10
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Julie <mind...@gmail.com> wrote:
> @Luis
>
> Here's a pastie of the steps you asked me to try: http://pastie.org/1388721

Pastie is not working, can you please use gist.github.com or pastebin?

Thank you.

> At this point I'd be glad to have someone do a screen sharing with me
> to help get this resolved.

Please add me to to gtalk (luislavena at gmail dot com) or email me
personally so we can coordinate. First would like to look to the
information above.

Julie

Dec 20, 2010, 3:58:23 PM12/20/10
to RubyInstaller
http://pastebin.com/dhQE7K2Z

I added you on gtalk. I am minddazed at gmail dot com.

perdong

Dec 21, 2010, 12:10:59 AM12/21/10
to RubyInstaller, thinkn...@gmail.com
have you tried changing the path for ruby192 in config.yml

http://pastie.org/1394157

good luck,
thinknologist

Luis Lavena

Dec 21, 2010, 7:46:17 AM12/21/10
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Julie <mind...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://pastebin.com/dhQE7K2Z
>
> I added you on gtalk. I am minddazed at gmail dot com.

Thank you, please ping me when you're online.

I might have an idea on what is going on, but let's see first.

SATYA

Jan 2, 2011, 2:21:50 PM1/2/11
to RubyInstaller
I am also having the same problem at Julie. I have the same traces as
Julie and the only difference I use Windows 7. Can you please let me
know of the cause and how to fix. I appreciate your response.

Thanks so much in advance.

Luis Lavena

Jan 2, 2011, 2:49:00 PM1/2/11
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 4:21 PM, SATYA <satya...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am also having the same problem at Julie. I have the same traces as
> Julie and the only difference I use Windows 7.  Can you please let me
> know of the cause and how to fix. I appreciate your response.

Please provide the output of the same things we asked to Julie, if the
environment is different, there must be a common denominator in both
installations that is producing these effects.

Jon

Jan 2, 2011, 2:58:41 PM1/2/11
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 4:21 PM, SATYA <satya...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am also having the same problem at Julie. I have the same traces as
> > Julie and the only difference I use Windows 7.  Can you please let me
> > know of the cause and how to fix. I appreciate your response.
> >

> Please provide the output of the same things we asked to Julie, if the
> environment is different, there must be a common denominator in both
> installations that is producing these effects.

Specifically, please add your information to the following if you haven't already:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dG1DajlXc0luLTNKdUhYOWRlZ2FleVE6MQ

Thanks,
Jon

---
http://jonforums.github.com/

John Epperson

Jan 3, 2011, 1:31:08 PM1/3/11
to RubyInstaller
Possible suggestion. I had a similar situation to these two...same
errors, similar environment to the last user (Windows 7), and was
following the instruction set exactly. However, after playing around
some, I found my OWN problem and fixed it. I thought I would share my
resolution in the event that we may be dealing with the same issue.

After following this thread, I checked to see if I had run the
commands from an administrator enabled cmd.exe. I didn't the first
time, so I reopened one for kicks, reran dk.rb init with that
administrator enabled cmd and then noticed something. Every time I ran
the dk.rb init, I actually only ran dk.rb first then went back a
second time and added the init (just a thing I always do)...I then
noticed the dk.rb output:

<quote>Configures an MSYS/MinGW based Development Kit (DevKit) for
each of the Ruby installations on your Windows system. The
DevKit enables you to build many of the available native
RubyGems that don't yet have a binary gem.

Usage: ruby dk.rb COMMAND [options]

where COMMAND is one of:

init prepare DevKit for installation
review review DevKit install plan
install install required DevKit executables

and 'install' [options] are:

-f, --force overwrite existing helper scripts
</quote>

====================================
So, I ran dk.rb install (it's mentioned in the directions, but I
missed it previously...perhaps listing it as a separate step will
help?)

This seemed to fix the problem...ran the devkit smoke install and
everything worked just fine.
Perhaps this is the issue at hand?

John

SATYA

Jan 3, 2011, 6:08:18 PM1/3/11
to RubyInstaller
Luis,

Here is the pastebin showing the stuff you asked Julie and
Amar(compiling helloworld.c). Please let me know if there is any thing
else I can do. I reinstalled ruby twice and devkit thrice to noavail.

Thanks a lot!
Satya

Luis Lavena

Jan 3, 2011, 7:04:02 PM1/3/11
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com

I don't see the link you mention. Also, verify that the devkit was actually installed (ruby dk.rb install)

Sent from mobile.

SATYA

Jan 3, 2011, 10:42:23 PM1/3/11
to RubyInstaller
I did the ruby dk.rb install. Sorry about not attaching the link. Here
it is

http://pastebin.com/79aiAggE

Thanks
Satya
On Jan 3, 4:04 pm, Luis Lavena <luislav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't see the link you mention. Also, verify that the devkit was actually
> installed (ruby dk.rb install)
>
> Sent from mobile.
> .> For more options, visit this group at
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rubyinstaller?hl=en.

Luis Lavena

Jan 4, 2011, 6:20:08 AM1/4/11
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 12:42 AM, SATYA <satya...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I did the ruby dk.rb install. Sorry about not attaching the link. Here
> it is
>
> http://pastebin.com/79aiAggE

* Why installed DevKit inside Ruby192\bin directory?

* Why attempted to install rdiscount gem from inside the gem itself?
(you should have been outside)

Nothing you describe there provides me enough information to pinpoint
the failure.

I've been waiting for Julie to come only for do a remote session and no avail.

Julie: I'm UTC-3 timezone (Argentina). Please email me personally so
we can work out this issue.

SATYA

Jan 4, 2011, 5:29:07 PM1/4/11
to RubyInstaller
thanks Luis. Sorry there is not much info. I have the same result
with a new install of ruby and devkit with devkit in c directory

Here is the paste and hopefully this will work.

http://pastebin.com/kjp8xDv8

Vít Ondruch

Jan 5, 2011, 12:42:47 PM1/5/11
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
If I understand it correctly, manually executed build works for you ...

Nevertheless, for me, the lines 29 and 30 are suspicious, since the line
29 is duplicated. Is it just copy/paste error or is it true?

Moreover, it was not done on plain installed Ruby, otherwise the
messages would be:

C:\devkit>ruby dk.rb install --force
[INFO] Updating convenience notice gem override for 'C:/Ruby19'
[INFO] Installing 'C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/site_ruby/devkit.rb'

Could you please try to compare content of your
"C:\Ruby19\lib\ruby\1.9.1\rubygems\defaults\operating_system.rb" with
mine attached in this email?

Vit

Dne 4.1.2011 23:29, SATYA napsal(a):

>> Antoine de Saint-Exup�ry

operating_system.rb

SATYA

Jan 9, 2011, 1:09:11 PM1/9/11
to RubyInstaller
OK. This looks like a windows 7 problem. I am new to ruby/rails and
rusty as I rarely code in my current job. But here is the offending
code I found in

C:\Ruby19\lib\ruby\1.9.1\rubygems\ext\builder.rb

def self.redirector
'2>&1'
end

It fails as is on Windows 7. When I change it to

def self.redirector
'2>&1'
puts "Having this comment makes it work in Windows 7"
end

It works after I put any trace message after the '2>&1'. I think the
function is trying to execute "ruby extconf.rb" and somehow there is a
issue in windows 7. It may be a buffer, timing or an incorrect
implementation for Windows. But having a comment after the call
removes the problem. If anyone finds another solution then I can try
it and report a solution. Would be interesting if Julie can test the
above on her machine and report her findings.

Thanks
Satya

On Jan 2, 11:49 am, Luis Lavena <luislav...@gmail.com> wrote

Luis Lavena

Jan 9, 2011, 1:25:07 PM1/9/11
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 3:09 PM, SATYA <satya...@gmail.com> wrote:
> OK.   This looks like a windows 7 problem.

I've Windows 7 and I don't have this problem, so is something else.

> I am new to ruby/rails and
> rusty as I rarely code in my current job. But here is the offending
> code I found in
>
> C:\Ruby19\lib\ruby\1.9.1\rubygems\ext\builder.rb
>
>  def self.redirector
>        '2>&1'
>  end
>
> It fails as is on Windows 7.  When I change it to
>
>  def self.redirector
>    '2>&1'
>    puts "Having this comment makes it work in Windows 7"
>  end

You're chaning what redirector is returning to the calling method.

Redirector is used by Gem::Ext::Builder both both make and run commands.

> It works after I put any trace message after the '2>&1'.  I think the
> function is trying to execute "ruby extconf.rb" and somehow there is a
> issue in windows 7. It may be a buffer, timing or an incorrect
> implementation for Windows. But having a comment after the call
> removes the problem. If anyone finds another solution then I can try
> it and report a solution. Would be interesting if Julie can test the
> above on her machine and report her findings.

You code is removing the possibility of collect the output into
gem_make.out which happens by default

One last thing to check is the AutoRun registry key of you
installation (and Julie one) and what COMSPEC value is.

These two affect backticks functionality.

Please tell me what SET COMSPEC returns in your system and the AutoRun section:

reg query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor"
reg query "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor"

Thank you.

Julie

Jan 19, 2011, 7:29:37 PM1/19/11
to RubyInstaller
Sorry, this is not my problem. I've been running the install command.

Luis Lavena

Jan 19, 2011, 8:01:18 PM1/19/11
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 4:25 PM, Luis Lavena <luisl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> One last thing to check is the AutoRun registry key of you
> installation (and Julie one) and what COMSPEC value is.
>
> These two affect backticks functionality.
>
> Please tell me what SET COMSPEC returns in your system and the AutoRun section:
>
> reg query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor"
> reg query "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor"

Ok, this was the problem!

Thanks to TeamViewer, we took a look with Julie to these registry keys
and found AutoRun was set:

AutoRun CD C:\

That key was affecting sub process fired by RubyGems during installation.

Removing that key:

reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor" /v AutoRun

Solved the gem installation issue.

This one was hard!!!

So, any other user having a similar problem, will be great to check
that AutoRun do not contain a command like CD

To workaround Julie's need, I've suggested change the command prompt
shortcut to C:\ instead of %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%, just to avoid the CD
need.

This needs to go to the wiki, volunteers? :-D

Julie, again, thank you for your patience on this and hope you can
enjoy now Ruby and Rails on Windows.

Regards,

Julie

Jan 19, 2011, 8:06:28 PM1/19/11
to RubyInstaller
Thanks to Luis, we finally got this working! I hope this thread will
be useful to someone in the future. Thanks to everyone who responded
with help!

Much thanks!!

Julie

André Caron

Jan 19, 2011, 10:18:00 PM1/19/11
to RubyInstaller

On Jan 19, 8:01 pm, Luis Lavena <luislav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 4:25 PM, Luis Lavena <luislav...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So, any other user having a similar problem, will be great to check
> that AutoRun do not contain a command like CD
>
> To workaround Julie's need, I've suggested change the command prompt
> shortcut to C:\ instead of %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%, just to avoid the CD
> need.
>
> This needs to go to the wiki, volunteers? :-D
>
> Julie, again, thank you for your patience on this and hope you can
> enjoy now Ruby and Rails on Windows.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Luis Lavena
> AREA 17
> -
> Perfection in design is achieved not when there is nothing more to add,
> but rather when there is nothing more to take away.
> Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Hi, I'm having a similar problem after installation on Windows 7, 64-
bit machines. I've checked for said registry key and it is not
present, yet the problem is real. I've run everything in admin shells
and all, still no go.

I've eventually figured out that the MinGW tools in the DevKit 4.5.1
use 100% CPU and produce no output. In particular, invoking ls, or
'make -v' (which should just print make's version number) exhibits
said behavior. Playing around with other MinGW installed on system and
some debugging on MSYS' own mailing lists lead me to conclude that
DevKit 4.5.1 uses an old version of MinGW, prior to 1.0.13. I've been
able to reproduce this behavior with a standalone MinGW install of
version 1.0.11.

I have also, traced the problem down real deep while installing
RedCloth using proper, up to date MinGW tools. I've reached the stage
of manually compiling the extension. While in 'lib\ruby\gems\1.9.1\gems
\RedCloth-4.2.3\ext\redcloth_scan', I run 'make' and get

mingw32-make.exe: *** No rule to make target `/C/ruby/1.9.2/
include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby.h', needed by `redcloth_attributes.o'. Stop.

Notice the start of the absolute path '/C/'. At first, I was using
Git Bash (as I do on *all* my machines), which is also taken from MSYS/
MinGW and performs many translations of environment variables to
achieve UNIX-like paths to avoid confusing some of it's utilities. Of
course, this becomes a major nightmare as soon as you spawn a process
that's not part of MSYS/MinGW. I realise this is not RubyInstaller's
problem at all, but stick with me for a second.

So, totally understanding this, I re-installed the DevKit ('ruby dk.rb
install --force') using 'cmd.exe' to avoid any confusion. I've also re-
ran the 'gem install RedCloth' from a clean 'cmd.exe'. Finally, I
return to the RedCloth gem directory and run 'ruby setup.rb' and it
still fails with the same error. When taking a look at the Makefile, I
see, totally at the top:

SHELL = /bin/sh
#### Start of system configuration section. ####
srcdir = /C/ruby/1.9.2/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/RedCloth-4.2.3/ext/
redcloth_scan
topdir = /C/ruby/1.9.2/include/ruby-1.9.1
hdrdir = /C/ruby/1.9.2/include/ruby-1.9.1
arch_hdrdir = C:/ruby/1.9.2/include/ruby-1.9.1/$(arch)
VPATH = $(srcdir):$(arch_hdrdir)/ruby:$(hdrdir)/ruby

Note the presence of '/C/' prefix on the first 3 entries. Yet, all
other paths to Ruby from 'arch_hdir' on use the normal Windows 'C:\'
prefix. My best guess is that some Git MinGW tool is generating a path
in the form '/C/'. Hence, my question! Where does the prefix come
from? What environment variable, what system command?

I have no knowledge of the Ruby programming language, of gem
installation procedures, so I cannot learn Ruby and read the entire
gem deployment mechanism's code in reasonable time for what I'm trying
to accomplish. Can you help me determine where the prefix is fetched
from so that I can *finally* install this piece of software?

Thanks,
André Caron

Jon

Jan 20, 2011, 9:55:55 AM1/20/11
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
Spectacular. This was more eye opening than my morning coffee.

Julie,

you've spent a lot of frustrating time on this one, but can I sweet talk you into contributing an initial summary to https://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/wiki/Troubleshooting

Don't worry about it being perfect as we can always tweak it. The only slightly tricky part is the way I've got summary links at the top that bounce you to the actual issue when you click the link. The "trick" is to insert an <a name="..."></a> right before the issue details with a "name" corresponding to the one given on the summary link at the top of the page.

You should be able to simply copy-n-paste what's already there, but I'll clean up anything if needed. I'm more interested in getting this captured as this one was certainly *not* obvious.

Thanks, Jon

> --

Jon

---
blog: http://jonforums.github.com/

Gravinaut

May 20, 2016, 12:28:13 PM5/20/16
to RubyInstaller, mind...@gmail.com
Maybe this will save someone some headache.

I was experiencing the same error so I went through every item in troubleshooting, these posts, other posts in this group and so on but could not resolve it. I was trying to install mongify but it was also failing on smoke test rdiscount.

So I uninstalled and removed the 64 bit versions and re-installed the 32 bit versions.

Right away it started to install without generating the error but this time it brought up the Windows firewall allow access dialog.

With the 64 bit versions, I did not automatically get the firewall dialog. I did disable anti-virus, but I did not manually add an exception or disable the firewall, so this was very likely the problem.