[ANN] RubyInstaller 2.0.0-p353 released

Luis Lavena

Nov 24, 2013, 6:40:19 PM11/24/13
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com, Ruby Talk
I'm very pleased to announce the release of RubyInstaller packages for Ruby
2.0.0-p353

Upgrade to this version is extremely recommended as contains security fixes.

Due increased reports of issues with existing downloads, we decided to migrate
our main downloads from RubyForge.

Installers and 7z binary packages are available from bintray.com:

We would like to thank RubyForge and their mirrors for all the resources
provided through the years allowing users obtain our packages.

Taking in consideration the volume of data, old versions will remain at
RubyForge but no new package will be uploaded there.

## Ruby 2.0.0-p353

This new version of Ruby also brings new changes to RubyInstaller.

Starting with 2.0.0, the packages will be provided in two versions:
32bits (x86) and 64bits (x64).

This is possible thanks to newer compiler provided by mingw-w64 project.

Over the past months our Continous Integration worker has been compiling and
running tests against GCC 4.7.2, ensuring this version satisfy the compilation
requirements of Ruby.

This also means newer DevKit package is required to use with this version.

### Important Notes

Please note that the installers in this release are *not digitally signed*.

You can read more about this in post at RubyInstaller group:

#### Ruby 2.0.0 is brand new

While officially 2.0.0 is stable, that doesn't mean all the software will
magically work on it.

Use 2.0.0 for development and verify your application, scripts and tools works
properly before deciding to run this in your production environment.

#### Existing pre-compiled gems might not be Ruby 2.0 compatible

Ruby 2.0 introduces ABI breakage which means compiled C extensions with previous
1.9.3 will work with Ruby 2.0.

**DO NOT install Ruby 2.0 on top of existing Ruby 1.9.3, or try to use compiled
extensions with it.**

You will be required to force compilation of those gems:

    gem install <name> --platform=ruby

This **will require you have the extra dependencies installed** for that gem to
compile. Look at the gem documentation for the requirements.

Please check each gem documentation and recent releases.

#### Do not use other DevKit version than the one recommended

This version of Ruby has been compiled and optimized for mingw-w64 GCC 4.7.2.

Use of older version of DevKit package to compile gems might result in
compilation issues during gem installation or simply segfaults.

Look for the DevKit installers identified with the name 'DevKit-mingw64-32' and
'DevKit-mingw64-64' for 32 and 64 bits respectively.

To be clear:

* Download and install `DevKit-mingw64-32-4.7.2` for 32bits Ruby 2.0.0
* Download and install `DevKit-mingw64-64-4.7.2` for 64bits Ruby 2.0.0

### MD5:

    640b865ccade8f14928677480696d123 *ruby-2.0.0-p353-doc-chm.7z
    a5795f7232c4b9ebf048fa6380f1f442 *ruby-2.0.0-p353-i386-mingw32.7z
    c4b0ed0e084fa1f8b6eedb2d7b45c2a7 *ruby-2.0.0-p353-x64-mingw32.7z
    ff10e6a238199117dea7ef4fe8a5c73c *rubyinstaller-2.0.0-p353.exe
    b31faf2c80f22c3babb5e4fbc4380dbc *rubyinstaller-2.0.0-p353-x64.exe

### Official Announcement:

### Enhancements:

* Upgraded Ruby 2.0.0 to patchlevel 353

--