"Cannot find strings.h," many undefined types

Tom Ryan

Jun 23, 2017, 3:16:23 AM6/23/17
to RubyInstaller

I don't know if this is a common or obvious error, but I can't figure out how to proceed. I did a devkit installation, and I'm not sure if it worked or not. I included ruby.h in my source.cpp, and included its path, and that part seemed to work. It can find defines.h,But I guess it's not finding the ruby library or something. I tried putting various lib links at the beginning of my path, from my devkit and ruby folders. This is my path without any alteration:

C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\TDM-GCC-64\bin;C:\Ruby22-x64\bin;C:\Users\thoma\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps

Anyone have an idea what the problem is or how to go about investigating it?

hellio6

Jun 23, 2017, 3:42:13 AM6/23/17
to RubyInstaller
 Sorry. May I know what you are trying to do?

If you want to build ruby, then there is new project.

https://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller2/

This project provides an Installer for Ruby-2.4 and newer on Windows based on the MSYS2 toolchain.

Tom Ryan

Jun 25, 2017, 7:19:35 AM6/25/17
to RubyInstaller
So to be clear, i tried devkit for 2.2 and 2.4. I can't compile with either. I'm probably just making some simple mistake here, but I don't know how to figure out what that mistake is.

Is this a problem with library or include paths? Which paths would I need in visual studio? I've tried everything that seemed remotely reasonable to me, but everything results in the same error.

Can anyone possibly guess what the problem is based on the errors I'm getting?

Tom Ryan

Jun 25, 2017, 9:23:24 PM6/25/17
to RubyInstaller
I should probably add some compilation errors, some of them might be telling. It looks like I'm possibly linking the same files twice somehow:

Cecil Coupe

Jun 25, 2017, 9:32:13 PM6/25/17
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

it would be more helpful to show the command line executed with all the

-I 's and -L. Are you sure Visual Studio is use the devkit compiler and

the headers and libs supplied in the devkit/msys or msys2

--Cecl