Need Install Help w/ Ruby & W8

SportygirlCO

May 19, 2014, 3:23:16 PM5/19/14
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
Folks:

I'm a new i.e super fresh user of Ruby and beginning coder.
I run Windows 8.1 and downloaded 32-bit Ruby v1.9.3p545 and can open a dialog window.

A couple of compilers have been recommended Sublime Text 2.0.0 and Komodo Edit 8.5.

I can open Command Prompt without [and with Ruby].
The message varies and this is the latest.

I need help linking the compiler and Ruby to get this up and running!
Thanks!

Ruby-CommanPrompt_Sceenshot1.png

Luis Lavena

May 28, 2014, 2:25:27 PM5/28/14
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
Hello SportyGirlCO,

Your post got stuck in the pre-approval of Google forums and missed it.

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 4:23 PM, SportygirlCO <jan.l...@outlook.com> wrote:
Folks:

I'm a new i.e super fresh user of Ruby and beginning coder.
I run Windows 8.1 and downloaded 32-bit Ruby v1.9.3p545 and can open a dialog window.

A couple of compilers have been recommended Sublime Text 2.0.0 and Komodo Edit 8.5.

You can use any editor with Ruby, but you must learn how to use the command line as most instructions and tutorials online provide instructions to be executed at the command prompt.

I can open Command Prompt without [and with Ruby].
The message varies and this is the latest.

The error is simple: Ruby do not recognize ":" as part of the command. Perhaps a copy and paste mistake?

The option to check the version of Ruby is "ruby -v" there is no : in it.

I need help linking the compiler and Ruby to get this up and running!

Ruby is an interpreted language and such there is no compiler. If you mean get the editor to "talk" to Ruby, then you will need to see the documentation on each editor on how to set it up to recognize and use the version of Ruby you installed.

Hope that helps.

PS: In relation to your other message (of being disappointed that you got no response) I'm sorry to respond that this is a community driven effort and people contribute with their personal time as time allows. Also this is a low traffic list.

If your urgency is too high, perhaps you should try search and/or posting your questions to Stackoverflow instead.
--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17