Permission denied @ rb_sysopen - C:/Program Files/Ruby23/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/cache/rdoc-data-4.1.0.gem

ams.tsc...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2016, 2:17:34 PM11/17/16
to RubyInstaller, tscho...@am-soft.de
Hi,

I get the following error message when trying to install my first gem:

> C:\Users\tschoening>ruby -v
> ruby 2.3.1p112 (2016-04-26 revision 54768) [x64-mingw32]
> C:\Users\tschoening>gem install --user-install rdoc-data
> Fetching: rdoc-data-4.1.0.gem (100%)
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Errno::EACCES)
>     Permission denied @ rb_sysopen - C:/Program Files/Ruby23/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/cache/rdoc-data-4.1.0.gem

The error itself is absolutely fine and correct in my environment, because I'm not an admin and don't have write permissions in that folder. The question is, is there any way to tell the installer to tell/configure Ruby in a way that this directory ist not used at all? I want to store all the gems in my home dir and that would make sense for the cache as well. Or is this something hard coded in Ruby itself, so I would need to report is as a bug against Ruby?

This problem doesn't occur in the 32 Bit version of the installer, because in that case the VirtualStore-mechanisms from Windows already redirects write attempts to a folder in the user home: