Installing not possible because of installation problem in MSYS2

iJungleboy

Feb 27, 2018, 1:44:46 PM2/27/18
to RubyInstaller
Tried to install it on various systems - Win10 or Win 16 Server - all failed because installing MSYS2 in unattended mode fails consistently.

Basically there are a few issues, and every after investing 2 hours I can't fix it. Because many manual things are very hard to do if you're not from this ruby/msys world - even for experienced developers.
Basically all I wanted was Ruby to run Jekyll, but the whole stack fails if this fails.

My only solution now was to use an old ruby 2.3.3, but that too was hard to figure out for non-ruby guys, which is what this installer should be for. So basically the experience for "I don't want ruby, I just want a tool which apparently needs ruby which apparently needs ..." is a unpleasent one :(

I hope you'll be able to resolve this soon.

Lars Kanis

Feb 27, 2018, 3:31:20 PM2/27/18
to RubyInstaller
Hi,

sorry for having trouble with the RubyInstaller setup! You're absolutely right - the current experience is a unpleasant one.

This issue was already raised some days ago here with a simple workaround: https://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller2/issues/101

My hope was, that the MSYS2 issue you referenced will be fixed on their side, but it doesn't seem so.

I'll release new RubyInstaller versions 2.4.3-2 and 2.5.0-2 tomorrow with this fix included.

Thank you for raising this!

--
Kind Regards,
Lars