Unable to "gem install ruby-odbc" on rubyinstaller for ruby 2.4.2.

TomyLobo

Dec 5, 2017, 6:57:20 PM12/5/17
to RubyInstaller

Hi

I tried to install the ruby-odbc gem using the following steps:

  1. I clicked on "Start Command Prompt with Ruby"
  2. ridk install 1 2 3
  3. ridk enable
  4. pacman -Sy mingw64/mingw-w64-x86_64-nanodbc
    • I also tried uninstalling that and installing mingw64/mingw-w64-x86_64-freetds instead
  5. gem install ruby-odbc

The result is this:

https://gist.github.com/TomyLobo/d7f3143786a2755ff692d21e85536960
It's looking for some SQL functions, a little googling tells me they're from the ODBC API.

Since I already installed nanodbc/freetds, I have no idea what's missing.

Lars Kanis

Dec 6, 2017, 3:09:59 AM12/6/17
to RubyInstaller, c...@ch-werner.de
Hi all,

attached please find a patch for ruby-odbc-0.99998. It fixes compatibility with Ruby-2.4 on MINGW, namely RubyInstaller-2.4. See the patch message for further description of the issue.

The ODBC base libraries are part of MINGW so that no additional pacman packages are required to install ruby-odbc. However they provide ODBC drivers for MSSQL (mingw-w64-freetds) etc., which could be required to connect to a particular database. I didn't test any of these.

--
Kind Regards,
Lars

0001-Fix-Ruby-2.4-MINGW-build.patch