Ruby and DevKit

Chemizt Chem

Feb 9, 2017, 12:55:19 PM2/9/17
to RubyInstaller
Hello all,
I installed Ruby and DevKit and am in C:\RubyDevKit now. However, when I type ruby dk.rb init it tells me that "ruby is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"????? Also, once I installed Ruby initially I rebooted my computer under the assumption that it would remember my Ruby login path. It didn't so I had to retype the entire path. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong please?

Thank you

leam hall

Feb 9, 2017, 12:59:43 PM2/9/17
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
When you installed Ruby did you click the "Add to the path" box? I just installed 2.3.3 and it worked, just had to close the cmd window and open another one.

if you go into the ruby directory and do "ruby --version", does that work?

Chemizt Chem

Chemizt Chem

Feb 9, 2017, 1:07:58 PM2/9/17
to RubyInstaller
I am very new to this so bare with me on the language, but I did follow directions word for word and closed the cmd window hoping it would remember me.

Chemizt Chem

Feb 9, 2017, 1:09:47 PM2/9/17
to RubyInstaller
I just closed the cmd window and reopened again and it says "C:\Users\Eri>"   This is fine my name is Eric.

leam hall

Feb 9, 2017, 1:12:16 PM2/9/17
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
In the new cmd window can you run:

ruby --version

What does it say? If that does not work, do you have a directory like "C:\Ruby23". if so, go to:

C:\Ruby23\bin

and then try the "ruby --version" command again.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/rubyinstaller.

Chemizt Chem

Feb 9, 2017, 1:45:52 PM2/9/17
to RubyInstaller
I was able to get back in with "C:\Ruby23-x64\bin\ruby -v" and got in but typed "ruby  --version" and it came back up as "not recognized............." as before
??????