help.rubygems.org rotation

Nick Quaranto

Mar 28, 2013, 7:35:21 PM3/28/13
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com
This is my #1 source of guilt and frustration with rubygems.org. There are currently almost 40 issues in the help queue, and it's a mix of support questions, delete requests for gems, and more. I've asked for help on this before, and although there's a lot of people with access to the help site, the level of participation is low. I tend to attack the queue once every month or so, but I feel bad about making people wait when so many depend on this service.

Our bus number for getting people help with rubygems.org issues shouldn't be 1. With the time I get to spend on OSS, (which I admit, has been reduced since I started Gemcutter) I'm *not* working the queue I feel bad.

So, I'd like to change this. Here's an idea of how we could fix it: Assign a rotation. Schedule it out 1-2 months at time. You'd be on support for a day. All this means is that you'd answer any questions from the helpdesk that day. You don't need to keep it open constantly. Just check it once or twice on that day. Hopefully we can get 10 people interested in taking a day, so you'd only have one day every 2 weeks. We'd use Google Calendar (Or maybe Docs?) to organize this.

I'd be up for other ideas if you have any to fix this.

Is anyone interested in taking a day? I need help with this. I'll help you get set up if you haven't already and I walk you through answering tickets and running the console commands to fix things personally.

Nick

Robert Jackson

Mar 28, 2013, 7:54:09 PM3/28/13
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com
I haven't done rubygems.org support before, but would I'd love to help out however I can.

Sent from my iPhone

Nick Quaranto

Mar 28, 2013, 8:01:37 PM3/28/13
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com
Another thing here could be making an admin panel, and then those hitting the support queue wouldn't need SSH/console access. Basically changing this:

Into an admin area. I'd love some help with that too.

Joseph Caudle

Mar 28, 2013, 8:53:11 PM3/28/13
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com

I'd love to help with both the support task and getting an admin dashboard set up. Do we need a new Trello board for all of this?

Best,
Joseph

Wes Garrison

Mar 28, 2013, 8:56:57 PM3/28/13
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com
Nick:

Sign me up. I'll lurk for a couple weeks until after Ruby Midwest,
but after that I can knock through tickets.

I've been lurking in irc and the mailing list trying to see how we
answer common questions (I want this abandoned gem) and been thinking
about better ways to get people to direct themselves to the
appropriate resource.

I don't even know all the resources we have!

* help.rubygems.org
* guides.rubygems.org
* #rubygems on freenode
* rubygems-org google mail list
* trello

Enough soapbox, sign me up and I'll help out.
---
Wes Garrison
913 488 0495
www.databasically.com

Michael Granger

Mar 28, 2013, 9:27:53 PM3/28/13
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 28, 2013, at 4:35 PM, Nick Quaranto <ni...@quaran.to> wrote:

> Is anyone interested in taking a day? I need help with this. I'll help you get set up if you haven't already and I walk you through answering tickets and running the console commands to fix things personally.

I'd be willing to take a day.

--
Michael Granger <g...@FaerieMUD.org>
Rubymage, Architect, Believer

Sam Kottler

Mar 28, 2013, 9:44:23 PM3/28/13
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com
I don't have time to be part of a regular support rotation, but since I know and have access to all the infrastructure I'd be happy to help others get started.

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 9:39 PM, Brian Hogan <bph...@gmail.com> wrote:
I wouldn't mind trying to help out. I'm not set up to do anything, really, but I'm willing to pitch in.

David Ratajczak

Mar 28, 2013, 11:41:15 PM3/28/13
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com

I'd be willing to schedule a couple of days a month to do support, but I would need a quick intro. Would it be a good idea to schedule a quick chat on IRC?

Sent from Mailbox for iPhone

cpg

Mar 28, 2013, 9:07:30 PM3/28/13
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 5:01 PM, Nick Quaranto <ni...@quaran.to> wrote:
> Basically changing this:
>
> http://help.rubygems.org/kb/rubygems/supporter-faq
>
> Into an admin area. I'd love some help with that too.

I have a fair bit of experience with active scaffold. I can try to add
it in, or discuss other admin options.

Is there a sanitized copy of the DB that can be used to get started on
development
(i'm new to the app itself).

Carlos
github: cpg

Nick Quaranto

Mar 29, 2013, 3:24:11 AM3/29/13
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com
I am pretty -1 to using activescaffold or any other "admin" panel for this. I can get a DB dump uploaded soon, wifi here is pretty bad.

As for all of the responses, thanks so much (and if you're still interested please reply)! I'll get something set up in the next few days, I'm traveling and very jet lagged right now.

Thanks,
Nick

Vipul Amler

Mar 29, 2013, 3:28:29 AM3/29/13
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com
+1 for helping out.
Vipul A.M.
+91-8149-204995

Nick Quaranto

Mar 29, 2013, 3:33:53 AM3/29/13
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com
About resources, I see this list and trello as more "internal" resources. They're meant for people working on the site itself. Help and Guides are definitely external. IRC is a mix, and its response/success rate is variable as always :)

Hope that helps.

Amos King

Mar 29, 2013, 12:47:09 PM3/29/13
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com
I'll jump in on support.

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 9:20 AM, Cayce Balara <cayce...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ditto what David Ratajczak said. If someone can point me in the right direction for what I need to ramp up on, I can put in a day or two a month watching the queue.

c.
@yardboy

Jamie Alessio

Mar 29, 2013, 2:18:33 PM3/29/13
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com
Nick,
I'm happy to help on this effort. Like others, I'll need a quick intro/pointers to get up to speed but it shouldn't be an issue.

Please include me on the list of volunteers.

- Jamie

Nick Quaranto

Apr 11, 2013, 1:53:24 PM4/11/13
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com
There already is a Supporter FAQ.

I also started a sub to help connect and run commands, meg:

Sorry, I haven't had time to answer any of the support requests in the queue lately or get anyone who's responded here set up. I'm still really embarrassed and ashamed of this.

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 1:48 PM, PJ Hagerty <pjha...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm willing to help out when and if I can.  Perhaps if a support guide can be put together there can be a hierarchy of tasks with the person on rotation doling them out?

Let me know where to get started.

On Thursday, March 28, 2013 7:35:21 PM UTC-4, Nick Quaranto wrote:

Amos King

Apr 11, 2013, 2:00:07 PM4/11/13
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com
Nick,

You've had a lot of volunteers offer to start taking some of this off your plate. What is there left to do to move forward with some support volunteers?

Amos

Nick Quaranto

Apr 11, 2013, 2:02:43 PM4/11/13
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com
I have not had a chance yet to:

1) Get people set up with SSH access (Actually I don't know how to do this in the new cluster)
2) Show them the support FAQ
3) Get them into Tender
4) Go over some example tickets and answer them

My main problem is that this is actual "work". This is actually a job. It's not fun for me to answer these. I wish no one had to, actually...many are installation issues that StackOverflow, etc could handle, but many just suck. The queue should not be 40-60 issues deep, it should be zero.

Nick Quaranto

Apr 11, 2013, 2:06:57 PM4/11/13
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com
I should also mention we could easily wrap the existing SSH tools in an admin panel. I have not had time for that either.

Really I should just reduce my time here to near-zero, which is realistic. I feel fucking terrible about this but it's the truth. :/

Sam Kottler

Apr 11, 2013, 2:12:39 PM4/11/13
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Nick Quaranto <ni...@quaran.to> wrote:
I have not had a chance yet to:

1) Get people set up with SSH access (Actually I don't know how to do this in the new cluster)

People who'd like SSH access should submit a pull request to https://github.com/rubygems/rubygems-aws and create a new json file with their information like the ones you see here - https://github.com/rubygems/rubygems-aws/tree/master/chef/data_bags/users. I'll roll them out as needed.

Nicolas McCurdy

Aug 4, 2014, 1:01:36 AM8/4/14
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com
I'm new to this mailing list, but I would love to help out.

Kerri Miller

Aug 4, 2014, 11:08:28 AM8/4/14
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com
After reading Nick's recent email, +1

James Gifford

Aug 4, 2014, 11:21:00 AM8/4/14
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com
I’d be down for helping out with this.

Adam Wilson

Aug 4, 2014, 7:06:53 PM8/4/14
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com
I would like to help out as well if possible. :-)

Olivier Lacan

Apr 9, 2015, 12:00:06 PM4/9/15
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com
Did you ever get help for the admin area idea?

Is there a good place to start, for instance deleting gems?