Docker image and a QUICK setup process

Jason Hsu

Feb 23, 2016, 8:54:01 AM2/23/16
to rubygems.org
I'm working on a quick build/rebuild process.  The idea is to quickly set up OR rebuild the rubygems.org site in your local development environment in minutes instead of hours.  I'd like for you to try it out and provide feedback on what I have so far.  (It's not complete yet, which is why I haven't yet submitted a pull request for my jhsu802701-build_fast branch.  There are a few skipped tests, and I'm getting the "Index does not exist (Elasticsearch::Transport::Transport::Errors::NotFound)" error message for some tests.)

I have a Docker repository at https://github.com/jhsu802701/docker-32bit-debian-jessie that provides access to multiple Docker images, one of which (32bit-debian-jessie-rbenv-rubygems) is customized for this particular project.  (It includes this project's current versions of Ruby, Rails, the pg gem, and the nokogiri gem.  I will add the ElasticSearch program in the next version of my Docker image.)

I've also started a build_fast.sh script that automatically takes care of the PostgreSQL setup, runs the pre-existing setup script, runs bundle install, migrates the database, AND runs the tests.  The comments in the script include instructions on how to set everything up.  (I'll be adding them to the existing documentation when this is all ready.)

Jason Hsu

Feb 27, 2016, 3:06:35 AM2/27/16
to rubygems.org
I managed to get it all working.  My pull request is at https://github.com/rubygems/rubygems.org/pull/1207 .