Incorrect license reported, wondering what is the explanation?

Thibaut Barrère

Mar 6, 2016, 5:25:48 PM3/6/16
to rubygems.org
Hello!

The other day I was trying out LicenseFinder to automatically check the licenses used for a given ruby project, and I detected that the license reported for the spreadsheet gem (normally GPLv3 as per gem spec) was MIT.

I did a bit of research and saw that on this Rubygems page, the gem is indeed reported as MIT (and presumably LicenseFinder leverages that information).

I did a bit more searching and saw that the code responsible to display that part is probably in there (controllers & associated models).

So this made me wonder: what is the recommended way to report such data issues? Is there a specific workflow to follow?

Thanks!

-- Thibaut

Arthur Neves

Mar 7, 2016, 3:56:17 PM3/7/16
to rubygems.org
Hi Thibaut,

I am not sure where the problem is, we parse the gemspec once they publish to rubygems.org, so there might be a problem there. I would open an issue on rubygems.org and maybe on the spreedsheet gem too, to see what they say.

thanks