Increasing api limit or batch api requests?

Nick Damiano

Jul 21, 2016, 10:24:21 AM7/21/16
to rubygems.org
I wrote a simple web app to look up multiple definitions of gems at once - based off of a link to a gemfile on github. I checked it recently and noticed, unlike before, I am getting a 429 too many requests error. I guess limits were added or tightened. Is there a way to request an increase in # of requests per second allowed based off individual api key?

Alternatively, has it been discussed allowing a batch/chunk request with multiple gems like curl "https://rubygems.org/api/v1/gems/rails&hirb&byebug&wombat.json"
I am a new developer so, perhaps, this is a terrible idea? If not, maybe I can contribute to this?

David Radcliffe

Jul 21, 2016, 11:12:04 AM7/21/16
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com
Yeah we added some rate limiting a few months back. We're not likely going to allow individual exceptions. If you're getting rate limited there's probably a better way to get the data. Have you looked at the data dumps we provide? https://rubygems.org/pages/data

---
David Radcliffe