Suggestion for listing a gem's runtime dependency count

Tim Case

Feb 12, 2016, 11:42:04 AM2/12/16
to rubygems.org
Hi rubygems, I really enjoyed Mike Perham's article on "Kill your dependencies" with talks about some of the downsides of adding a rubygem to your project that itself has lots of dependencies on other gems as well as looking for all ruby alternatives to gems that use native extensions.

It got me thinking that an ubercool improvement to rubygems would be the ability the see the runtime dependency count and whether or not a gem uses native extensions on the ruby gem page for a gem.  Like a couple more pieces of info in addition to required ruby version.

Not sure if this is the place for unsolicited feature requests, and I just wanted to say I heart ruby gems and rubygems.org, thanks for your work.

Amos King

Feb 12, 2016, 11:48:51 AM2/12/16
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com
Tim,

I think that knowing native extensions would be great. Right now the runtime dependencies are listed on the gem page.

Amos

Amos King
"The bitterness of poor quality remains
long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" - Benjamin Franklin
http://dirtyInformation.com
http://github.com/Adkron

Tim Case

Feb 12, 2016, 12:07:55 PM2/12/16
to rubygems.org
You know all that info is already there. Durr. https://rubygems.org/gems/paperclip

Sorry guys I guess I never paid attention to it before.