Is anyone alive?

Sam Pizzey

Dec 4, 2011, 5:41:16 AM12/4/11
to rubyga...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,
I haven't taken a look at Rubygame for quite some time - I went to
recommend it to someone the other day for a contest they are
participating in and was shocked to notice it seems to be a little quiet
around here. :(

Is anyone still working on the project? I notice there are a few pull
requests unhandled, and I did see the post on the blog where John was
looking for a more active developer. I think it would be interesting to
smooth things out on the current branch and crack onto some of the tasks
people had planned for 3.0, such as the swappable backends.

If I were to take a shot at such things, is there any chance they would
be merged in, or are things pretty much at a standstill now? I tried to
contact John directly, but I fear he is pretty busy these days, so I
thought I'd try here and see if anyone has a view.

Hugs and regards,
Sam

Nicholas

Dec 8, 2011, 6:17:16 PM12/8/11
to Rubygame Talk
Jacius should still be here. bump

John Croisant

Dec 9, 2011, 3:51:10 PM12/9/11
to rubyga...@googlegroups.com

My apologies for being so slow in responding. Rubygame is a somewhat
uncomfortable topic for me, so I tend to unconsciously postpone
responding to inquiries about it.

From my perspective, Rubygame is in hibernation indefinitely. If
people still find it useful, they can keep using it. But, I don't have
any plans to maintain it, let alone do any active development. The one
exception to that, is that I might be persuaded to tie up some loose
ends and release 2.7, just to resolve that "unfinished business".

I've moved on to other projects, so I'm personally not interested
anymore in working on swappable backends or other 3.0 stuff. But, if
other people are, I'm willing to provide advice upon request. If
someone wants to try to resuscitate the project, I'm open to handing
it off. Just fork the repo on GitHub and hack on the code for a few
weeks to show me you can do the job, then I'll give write access to
the main repo, etc.

- John