what's the best way to get a clean schema.xml and solrconfig.xml?

Nathan Beyer

Jul 19, 2010, 10:49:16 PM7/19/10
to Sunspot
From what I can tell running 'sunspot-installer -v -f /path/to/
solr_home' is what I should be doing, but I wanted to verify. What I
need is the clean config files for a Solr install that's used for
nothing but Sunspot.

Mat Brown

Jul 20, 2010, 7:02:13 AM7/20/10
to ruby-s...@googlegroups.com
Yep, that's the way -- that just copies the schema and solrconfig from
Sunspot itself. Without the -f, it tries to modify the existing
schema/solrconfig to fit Sunspot with as few changes as possible, but
because Solr's default schema uses some field/type names that are the
same as Sunspot's but mean different things, it doesn't work well to
run the installer without -f on a new Solr installation.

Nathan Beyer

Jul 21, 2010, 12:31:37 AM7/21/10
to ruby-s...@googlegroups.com
Slightly off topic, but I notice the installer copies some 'spatial'
libs into the Solr home. Are these needed if that part of Sunspot
isn't being used?

Mat Brown

Jul 21, 2010, 7:00:51 AM7/21/10
to ruby-s...@googlegroups.com
Nope -- and they also won't be needed regardless in Sunspot 1.2

Nathan Beyer

Jul 22, 2010, 3:10:37 PM7/22/10
to ruby-s...@googlegroups.com
Actually, if I don't include those JARs, the Solr app won't start at
all. What pieces of solrconfig.xml and/or schema.xml do I need to
remove as well?

Mat Brown

Jul 22, 2010, 3:15:36 PM7/22/10
to ruby-s...@googlegroups.com
Nothing in schema.xml, but solrconfig.xml has references to the JARs -
should be easy enough to grep for the library names

Nathan Beyer

Jul 22, 2010, 3:49:35 PM7/22/10
to ruby-s...@googlegroups.com
I just removed the bits that referenced spatial, but it seems I have
larger problems. Can the solrconfig.xml that's generated by used for
core configurations? I have two cores and those don't seem to be
starting up at all and all I can see in the logs are the following
during startup. After start up is complete, none the Solr app is 'up',
but the core's are available.

SEVERE: java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.apache.solr.handler.component.SearchHandler.handleRequestBody(SearchHandler.java:173)
at org.apache.solr.handler.RequestHandlerBase.handleRequest(RequestHandlerBase.java:131)
at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.execute(SolrCore.java:1316)
at org.apache.solr.core.QuerySenderListener.newSearcher(QuerySenderListener.java:52)
at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore$3.call(SolrCore.java:1146)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:637)

Mat Brown

Jul 22, 2010, 3:58:00 PM7/22/10
to ruby-s...@googlegroups.com
I've never set up a multicore environment, but I would imagine it
would require changes to the solrconfig.xml that ships with Sunspot...