Net::LDAP maintainer and official hosts/sources

Christian Höltje

Mar 4, 2013, 12:49:11 PM3/4/13
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

I'm looking contribute a patch that adds failover support for Net::LDAP and I'd like to know where to submit it.  I tried contributing it to https://github.com/ruby-ldap/ruby-net-ldap/pull/58 but I'm unsure if that is the right place.

At the moment, it is very confusing to figure out where the source is since on RubyGems.org the links point to:

Further confusing things is rubyldap.com:

And I got an email from Austin Ziegler who said he no longer maintains Net::LDAP. He mentioned the rubyldap.org domain (which I guess he owns at the moment) is set to expire on the 17th (yikes) which will make things even more confusing.

I'm pretty good at improving the "developer experience" for software (It's like UX for developer facing interfaces -- source, build system, etc.) and would be willing to contribute some time improving this gem.

Ciao!

Lars Tobias Skjong-Børsting

Mar 7, 2013, 4:30:51 AM3/7/13
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On 3/4/13 6:49 PM, Christian H�ltje wrote:

> I'm looking contribute a patch that adds failover support for Net::LDAP
> and I'd like to know where to submit it. I tried contributing it
> to https://github.com/ruby-ldap/ruby-net-ldap/pull/58 but I'm unsure if
> that is the right place.

That's the right place.

> At the moment, it is very confusing to figure out where the source is
> since on RubyGems.org <http://rubygems.org/> the links point to:
>
> * Homepage: rubyldap.com <http://rubyldap.com/> -- This looks legit
> and doesn't mention a source
> * Source Code: https://github.com/RoryO/ruby-net-ldap-- Not so sure
> about this, though Rory O is listed as an owner.
> * Documentation: http://net-ldap.rubyforge.org/-- This page is 0.2.2
> which is out-of-date.
> * Wiki: RoryO's github again.
> * Bug Tracker: An invalid RubyForge page.
>
> Further confusing things is rubyldap.com <http://rubyldap.com/>:
>
> * RubyForge: Points to a page that only has 0.2.2 on it.
> * GitHub: https://github.com/ruby-ldap/ruby-net-ldap-- That looks more
> official than RoryO's github.
> * Documentation: Same place as RubyGems

It's confusing, indeed. I think the old places should be shut down, or
at least be left an "outdated" notice with a link.

> And I got an email from Austin Ziegler who said he no longer maintains
> Net::LDAP.

RoryO is the current maintainer, but I haven't seen any activity from
him for 6 months.

> He mentioned the rubyldap.org domain (which I guess he owns
> at the moment) is set to expire on the 17th (yikes) which will make
> things even more confusing.

There is no website and another site may just be more confusing.

> I'm pretty good at improving the "developer experience" for software
> (It's like UX for developer facing interfaces -- source, build system,
> etc.) and would be willing to contribute some time improving this gem.

I think there should be more than one maintainer, or at least more than
one person with commit access to https://github.com/ruby-ldap/ruby-net-ldap.

--
Best regards,
Lars Tobias

Christian Georg Holtje

Mar 7, 2013, 9:47:44 PM3/7/13
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 7, 2013, at 4:30 AM, Lars Tobias Skjong-Børsting <li...@relatime.no> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 3/4/13 6:49 PM, Christian Höltje wrote:
>
>> I'm looking contribute a patch that adds failover support for Net::LDAP
>> and I'd like to know where to submit it. I tried contributing it
>> to https://github.com/ruby-ldap/ruby-net-ldap/pull/58 but I'm unsure if
>> that is the right place.
>
> That's the right place.
>
>> At the moment, it is very confusing to figure out where the source is
>> since on RubyGems.org <http://rubygems.org/> the links point to:
>>
>> * Homepage: rubyldap.com <http://rubyldap.com/> -- This looks legit
>> and doesn't mention a source
>> * Source Code: https://github.com/RoryO/ruby-net-ldap-- Not so sure
>> about this, though Rory O is listed as an owner.
>> * Documentation: http://net-ldap.rubyforge.org/-- This page is 0.2.2
>> which is out-of-date.
>> * Wiki: RoryO's github again.
>> * Bug Tracker: An invalid RubyForge page.
>>
>> Further confusing things is rubyldap.com <http://rubyldap.com/>:
>>
>> * RubyForge: Points to a page that only has 0.2.2 on it.
>> * GitHub: https://github.com/ruby-ldap/ruby-net-ldap-- That looks more
>> official than RoryO's github.
>> * Documentation: Same place as RubyGems
>
> It's confusing, indeed. I think the old places should be shut down, or
> at least be left an "outdated" notice with a link.

Agreed.

We know he was alive 17 days ago, at least: https://github.com/RoryO?tab=activity

>> He mentioned the rubyldap.org domain (which I guess he owns
>> at the moment) is set to expire on the 17th (yikes) which will make
>> things even more confusing.
>
> There is no website and another site may just be more confusing.

Using the github pages is "good enough", the rubyldap.org domain is nice, but not necessary. I'm willing to pay to keep the domain running. It's not expensive enough for me to care. If everyone agrees it is okay, then I'll happily have Austin transfer it to me at Hover.com and I'll keep the DNS running for a while.

>> I'm pretty good at improving the "developer experience" for software
>> (It's like UX for developer facing interfaces -- source, build system,
>> etc.) and would be willing to contribute some time improving this gem.
>
> I think there should be more than one maintainer, or at least more than
> one person with commit access to https://github.com/ruby-ldap/ruby-net-ldap.

Agreed. How can we go about fixing this.

I'm perfectly willing to help get everything cleaned up etc. But I'd like an explicit email from the current maintainers I can wave about.

I can provide replacement content for the old sites and basically create a check-list. I won't be able to shut some things down since I lack permissions, etc. But the check-list should make it quick and painless for people who do have permissions.

Ciao!

jus...@curationexperts.com

Mar 18, 2013, 1:33:20 PM3/18/13
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
I also got tripped up by these bad links.  Can one of the maintainers please update the rubygems page?

-Justin

dwort...@googlemail.com

Jun 20, 2013, 10:39:18 AM6/20/13
to ruby...@googlegroups.com

It looks like there are people interested in taking on the maintenance of this project, so let's try and make it happen.

I've taken the initiative and re-registered the expired domain name and configured it to restore http://rubyldap.org. I am more than happy to transfer this to whoever ends up maintaining the project going forward if they want it.

rubygems.org lists Rory O'Connell and Austin Ziegler as the gem owners

the ruby-ldap github organization appears to only have Rory O'Connell as an owner.

So, Rory, if you read this and you are no longer interested in actively managing this project, please consider passing the stewardship to somebody else, or at least let us know how we can help.

Regards,

Darrin.

Ajedi32

Jun 26, 2013, 11:46:27 AM6/26/13
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
I definitely agree. This is still the most popular Ruby LDAP library out there and I hate to see it just sit here and stagnate.

Ken Coar

May 29, 2014, 10:41:59 AM5/29/14
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
Although the github repo shows a little activity, this thread hasn't gone anywhere in nearly a year.  Smells kinda stagnant? :-(

Ken Coar

May 29, 2014, 5:04:22 PM5/29/14
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
Okey, missed the other thread on this subject.  *Not* stagnant. :-)