New maintainer/maintainers

Kenneth Ortmann

Feb 25, 2014, 6:17:56 PM2/25/14
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
The maintainer of ruby LDAP has been busy / absent and no longer publishes new gems. So I'm throwing up a thread for discussion of how to decide who is going to do this or if multiple people should handle it.

I personally can not become a full time maintainer. I do not use the gem enough that I would need/have an interest in making it better all of the time, but I would have no problems being part of a group that reviews / accepts pull requests and can put out new versions of the gem.

Anyone else have any thoughts on how to move this forward?

Austin Ziegler

Feb 26, 2014, 12:43:30 AM2/26/14
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Kenneth.

The only thing that I want to add is that I'm looking to have two or three people who are interested in really maintaining ruby-net-ldap because I don't want to be moving between primary maintainers. This is something that obviously has value to people, but I have no need for it myself (I never have, really, but I started the project because I saw a need, and then Francis Cianfrocca came in and gave the first working version). I really want to *not* be the BDFL for this project—I have too many other projects that I maintain and that I am actively interested in.

Please, come up with a structure and/or group that seems durable and will be good caretakers of the project, and I will happily hand over commit bits (to the repos), moderation bits (to this mailing list), and release bits (for the gems). At that point, the maintainers can even remove me from the projects and I'll be perfectly happy with that. But I want to know that the project won't be abandoned, or will at least have a better succession plan than we have demonstrated to date.

-a

Michael Schaarschmidt

Feb 26, 2014, 8:08:52 AM2/26/14
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
I use this gem almost on daily basis and there are some things, I would like to improve. Small things. As Kenneth I can not become 'the' full maintainer, but I would be happy to help review and accept pull requests and make some small things myself.

Kenneth Ortmann

Feb 26, 2014, 1:43:13 PM2/26/14
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
Austin if we do not get any more feedback would it be worth it to make an organization in github and add Micheal and I to the organization and move forward from there?

Austin Ziegler

Feb 27, 2014, 7:48:03 AM2/27/14
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
It's already an organization; my biggest problem is that I'm looking for people to take primary responsibility because I don't feel qualified to move forward with net-ldap.

I'm busy until the weekend, but I will add you guys to the organization; that doesn't help immediately with gem releases (I'll need your RubyGems IDs on that; email me separately).

-a

Michael Schaarschmidt

Feb 27, 2014, 7:54:55 AM2/27/14
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
To the email address from your github account?

Austin Ziegler

Feb 27, 2014, 9:52:44 PM2/27/14
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
Yes (which is the same as this one).

-a

Matt Todd

Sep 22, 2014, 8:59:49 PM9/22/14
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
Hi there! I'm reviving this thread to throw my hat into the ring for joining in as a maintainer.

My qualification is that I am primarily responsible for building and maintaining LDAP integration support for the GitHub Enterprise product. I'm working daily with the library, have read through the library extensively, have contributed back to it and want to keep improving and expanding the library, am studying LDAP more generally, and have resources to test with various environments. I see issues coming in pretty regularly, some fall out of scope though others reveal where the library falls short, most I feel I could handle/address without issue. I'm happy to triage issues, fix what I can, improve the code quality/style consistency, improve testing, add instrumentation and more visibility to the library for diagnostics, etc. I hope to apply my responsibilities and work on the GitHub Enterprise LDAP integration back into improvements into this library when appropriate (github/github-ldap being a source of higher level LDAP-related utilities and abstractions out of scope for net-ldap that I'm also a maintainer of).

I'm happy to add to the number of maintainers able to work with the community to keep this project moving forward. I'm interested in establishing a clear roadmap for the library that the community can help refine, deferring to existing maintainers in all decisions but eager to work together on developing and implementing it.

<3

Matt Todd

Oct 2, 2014, 7:10:57 PM10/2/14
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
Bump :)

Kenneth Ortmann

Oct 2, 2014, 7:13:58 PM10/2/14
to ruby...@googlegroups.com

I have 0 problems with you being added. If no one else minds I'll add you.

On Oct 2, 2014 6:10 PM, "Matt Todd" <chio...@gmail.com> wrote:
Bump :)

Matt Todd

Oct 3, 2014, 10:10:52 PM10/3/14
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
Just to follow up, apparently Michael had already invited me to the org and I just wasn't aware! I'm in now :)

Jerry Cheung

Oct 7, 2014, 1:02:24 PM10/7/14
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I've also joined as a maintainer for the project. I work with Matt Todd and I'm also diving into similar projects as him. I'm new to LDAP, but familiar with open source processes and project maintenance. I'm excited to be on board, and hope to learn from everyone.

Cheers,
Jerry