Install problems on Power 8 LE Ubuntu

Indrajit Poddar

Jun 10, 2014, 11:03:46 AM6/10/14
to ruby...@googlegroups.com

Hello, I am trying to install a few gems on the new Power 8 Ubuntu LE platform and I am seeing compilation failures. The compilation failures are happening due to the config.guess file included in the gem being outdated. I have verified that replacing the config.guess file fixes the compilation issues, but I am unable to repackage the gem with the latest config.guess file from: http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=config.git;a=blob_plain;f=config.guess;hb=HEAD . I am a ruby newbie. Can someone provide instructions on how to recreate the ffi-1.9.3.gem file after replacing the config.guess file? Also can the gem be updated in rubygems.org?

Here is the error message for the ffi-1.9.3 gem:

/var/vcap/packages/ruby/bin/ruby extconf.rb
checking for ffi.h... no
checking for ffi.h in /usr/local/include,/usr/include/ffi... no
checking for rb_thread_blocking_region()... yes
checking for rb_thread_call_with_gvl()... yes
checking for rb_thread_call_without_gvl()... yes
checking for ffi_prep_cif_var()... no
creating extconf.h
creating Makefile
make
Configuring libffi
/var/vcap/data/packages/director/0.32-dev/gem_home/gems/ffi-1.9.3/ext/ffi_c/libffi/config.guess: unable to guess system type

This script, last modified 2009-11-20, has failed to recognize
the operating system you are using. It is advised that you
download the most up to date version of the config scripts from

  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=config.git;a=blob_plain;f=config.guess;hb=HEAD
and
  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=config.git;a=blob_plain;f=config.sub;hb=HEAD

If the version you run (/var/vcap/data/packages/director/0.32-dev/gem_home/gems/ffi-1.9.3/ext/ffi_c/libffi/config.guess) is already up to date, please
send the following data and any information you think might be
pertinent to <config-...@gnu.org> in order to provide the needed
information to handle your system.

config.guess timestamp = 2009-11-20

uname -m = ppc64le
uname -r = 3.13.0-19-generic
uname -s = Linux
uname -v = #40-Ubuntu SMP Mon Mar 24 02:36:13 UTC 2014

/usr/bin/uname -p =
/bin/uname -X     =
hostinfo               =
/bin/universe          =
/usr/bin/arch -k       =
/bin/arch              =
/usr/bin/oslevel       =
/usr/convex/getsysinfo =

UNAME_MACHINE = ppc64le
UNAME_RELEASE = 3.13.0-19-generic
UNAME_SYSTEM  = Linux
UNAME_VERSION = #40-Ubuntu SMP Mon Mar 24 02:36:13 UTC 2014
configure: error: cannot guess build type; you must specify one
make: *** ["/var/vcap/data/packages/director/0.32-dev/gem_home/gems/ffi-1.9.3/ext/ffi_c/libffi-powerpc64le-linux"/.libs/libffi_convenience.a] Error 1
ERROR:  Error installing bosh-director:

    Building has failed. See above output for more information on the failure.

Matijs van Zuijlen

Jun 10, 2014, 2:06:52 PM6/10/14
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
Hi Indrajit,

The process should be something like the following:
  • Clone the ffi source from g...@github.com:ffi/ffi.git
  • If you want to be really safe, check out the 1.9.3 tag
  • Replace ext/ffi_c/libffi/config.guess with the correct version
  • Build the gem by running gem build ffi.gemspec
  • Install the gem by running gem install ffi-1.9.3.gem
Let me know if you run into trouble.

Kind regards,
Matijs

Matijs