Google Summer of Code - Introduction

Prashant Baisla

Mar 16, 2015, 3:57:41 AM3/16/15
to ruby-b...@googlegroups.com
Dear mentors,

My name is Prashant Baisla and I'm planning to apply to GSoC for one of the Bundler project ideas. I'm sending this email to introduce myself and ask a few questions.

I'm an undergrad at Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology, Allahabad, India and my major is Computer Science and Engineering. I'm a ruby beginner (started learning ruby and rails last September) and am looking to get some experience on a real world ruby project. Previously, I've only fixed small bugs in some open source projects so GSoC is also an opportunity for me to make more significant contributions to open source.

I am interested in the following idea: Bundler and gem metrics, statistics, and analytics
I had a few questions about this.
Has work already been started on this? If yes, where can I find the code?
The ideas page says "a recent release of Bundler includes some metric information when it makes requests to the server". Which version is this? I'd like to see the code.

Also, is there anything I can contribute to right now? Maybe some bugs I could fix? I am eager to contribute!

Regards,
Prashant Baisla

P.S. A comment on this GitHub issue says there is also a Slack group. Could I please be added to that?

André Arko

Mar 20, 2015, 3:06:14 PM3/20/15
to ruby-b...@googlegroups.com
Hi Prashant,

Some work has already been done. This code sends information to the server: https://github.com/bundler/bundler/blob/master/lib/bundler/fetcher.rb#L73-L100, and this code collects the information on the server side: https://github.com/bundler/bundler-api/blob/master/lib/bundler_api/agent_reporting.rb#L26-L42. Some of that information is displayed on Librato: https://metrics.librato.com/share/dashboards/k4b5bhm8. We want to collect more data and display it more usefully.

If you’re interested in contributing in general, there is a guide at https://github.com/bundler/bundler/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md. You can join the Slack channel here: https://bundler-slackin.herokuapp.com/.

Sameer Deshmukh

Mar 25, 2015, 3:59:39 AM3/25/15
to ruby-b...@googlegroups.com
To seek more clarity, would prefer a brand new stand-alone web application for displaying metrics or is the metrics information supposed to integrate with some already present app?

If yes, could tell us which one exactly?