Questions about Lutherie class planing over the next year

Jeremy A.Cox

Apr 12, 2017, 9:43:29 PM4/12/17
to RRCC FIW
Thank you again for all of you who were able to make it last night for the meeting with Linda Comeaux.  The comments I heard were very helpful to better understand the immediate needs of lutherie students who are concerned about completing respective certificates over the next few semesters.  That said, I need to compile some info, quickly to ensure that I know what specific needs you have, and determine if i can still add/modify the fall schedule to accommodate.

Questions:
1. Are there currently lutherie students who are unable to register for the fall Classic guitar class with Andy?
2. What guitar build class would you prefer for the spring 2018? (Please highlight your preference)
Electric
Steel String
Violin
3.  How many students need to take Set-up and Repair?  Would the fall be preferred?
4.  Same question for instrument finishing, or advanced inst. finishing? Spring 2018?

 I appreciate your attention and quick response to these questions.
Thank you,
Jeremy Cox

Stephen McElhenny

Apr 13, 2017, 9:47:51 AM4/13/17
to RRCC FIW
I had hoped that the facts presented would have pursueded the administration to keep lutherie around for the foreseeable future based on the uniqueness of the program...and the passion of the students.

With that said...over the next couple years I need advanced courses. I would prefer to see electric in the spring (as I am already signed up for Andy's Classic guitar class in the fall), but only if it were the advanced Electric because I have already taken the basic level Electric class.

I'm not 100% sure what I "need" for the artisan Lutherie certificate...I need to sit down with you Jeremy to get help figuring that out...but I would want as many advanced courses as possible in future semesters. My scheduled is maxed out for the fall. Not specific to Lutherie ...but I still have need to take CNC Laser, all levels of CNC Router, and other advanced non-lutherie specific classes in future semesters. Because of my full time work...I try to keep my load to no more than 6 (sometimes 9) credit hours per semester.

LM

Apr 13, 2017, 11:33:26 AM4/13/17
to RRCC FIW

On Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 7:43:29 PM UTC-6, Jeremy A.Cox wrote:
Thank you again for all of you who were able to make it last night for the meeting with Linda Comeaux.  The comments I heard were very helpful to better understand the immediate needs of lutherie students who are concerned about completing respective certificates over the next few semesters.  That said, I need to compile some info, quickly to ensure that I know what specific needs you have, and determine if i can still add/modify the fall schedule to accommodate.

Jeremy,

My recollection of one of the meeting points regarding the schedule was that, first and foremost the Administration acknowledged that they must provide a 2 year teach-out plan to students.  Your post seems to imply the plans are only to adjust the class schedule for the first year of the teach-out.  I think this is very confusing to students.  Are you trying to say to luthier students that they must re-configure their class plans to fit in all luthier classes by Spring 2018?  While I do not believe this is your intent, this is how I am reading your post.

Violin is not a “guitar” build class, but is an essential instrument build class and provides a pathway for luthier employment, just by way of the demand for repair of stringed instruments in the area, via the extensive elementary, middle and high school stringed instrument programs. Do you mean to imply a guitar class might not be offered if the violin class is, or the reverse?  My further understanding that the reason the violin class was off the schedule for so long, was more a factor of locating a qualified instructor, which we now have.  I trust the historical data you use includes notes regarding instructor availability as an explanation for the lack of class demand.

My recollection also was that (and for the purposes of simplicity, I am including you as a decision maker in the term Administration) the Administration has a target # for the credit hour cuts, but that number can be met with a number of changes in the schedule and you stated there was time to that.  It is my understanding that the luthier classes have been long-standing core classes, and do not fall into the recent "blossoming classes", and students expect a reasonable path to complete those classes without undue burden and hardship.

It is my further understanding from the meeting, the urgency to immediately address class issues for luthier students is their inability to re-locate to other programs on such short (no) notice, as well as to ensure financial aid is not lost as a result of this short (no) notice.  Have you used the emergency contact information provided by the luthier students through the instructors as a more efficient way of gathering this information?  Many students do not use the google group.

Last, for students who applied to the Luthier program for the upcoming academic year, are they included as part of that teach-out period since they were accepted to the school under the current published 2017-2018 catalogue and certificate program?

While your post demonstrates the Administration is hard at work on these issues and that work is much appreciated, it seems to raise a lot of concerning questions as well.   We trust the Administration is working as urgently on the issues for our VA students and for all of us lacking a path for classes for the next academic year.  Laura.

Andrea Pinedo

Apr 14, 2017, 12:14:06 PM4/14/17
to RRCC FIW
I am currently enrolled in the Luthier Artisan program.  I'm on my first semester and just finishing FIW101, and, given the changes, it's impossible to finish this degree in the next year- I still need to take everything beyond the intro class!  Given the class offerings, I'll maybe see if I can get a different certificate in the next year, or just take classes to build my skills as I can, before I transfer somewhere else...

1. Me!  It filled up before I registered, and there's no wait list...
2. Violin is my 1st preference, Electric my 2nd.
3. Also me!  I'm no sure about my semester preference, it'd depend on other classes.  Since I'm working full time and I live far away (commuting from Greeley), taking two classes is tough, and my ability to do that would depend on the times.
4. Also me again.  Same answer about semesters- depends on times.