Inlay question

Andrew Darr

Sep 12, 2016, 12:54:19 PM9/12/16
to rrcc...@googlegroups.com
Is it possible to inlay a contrasting wood into another, but that is 2" thick? Length and width would be about 12", and go up from there. Even though grain patterns would be in same direction, would the two species pull apart over time? Are there certain groups of woods that expand and contract consistently within that group?

All input welcomed, especially to anyone that has tried something similar.
Thanks in advance.
--
Andrew Darr
Darr Furniture LLC

Shawn C.

Sep 12, 2016, 10:19:55 PM9/12/16
to RRCC FIW
Hi Andrew,

It seems to me that it should work (think about solid core veneered projects). I would definitely give it a try. I did metal into walnut...of course metal doesn't expand, but the walnut will. Luckily for me it is only about 3" at max width of any point of metal. Hopefully it doesn't split apart on me.

The woodshop widget will allow you to compare woods...and I think expansion rates too.

I might use 30 min. epoxy instead of something like CA glue.

I look forward to hearing from someone that might have a bit more experience with it.

Best of luck.
Shawn