Powermatic bench-top mortiser

Andrew Darr

Jul 7, 2016, 5:42:08 PM7/7/16
to rrcc...@googlegroups.com
I am looking for some more feedback! In the near future I will be needing a benchtop mortiser. I don't have the space or funding for a full size as of now. I am eye-balling the Powermatic, because it has a 3/4hp motor. My main concern is power. The main thing I would use this for requires 3/4" mortise bits about 1 1/2" deep. Most of the wood would be walnut, or a similar hardness. And I would be doing 50 square cuts at a time, so it would need to withstand the use. So could someone give me some input on this machine that they have personally used? Would it have any issues meeting my demands? Is it standard for mortisers to be able to adjust the square to cut at a 45 degree?
I did find a 1 hp machine from Woodtek. Though, it has a smaller table. And it didn't rate very high in a recent Fine Woodworking review. Unless anyone else has feedback on this machine as well.

Thanks in advance!

--
Andrew Darr
Darr Furniture LLC

Walt Enterline

Jul 8, 2016, 12:44:43 PM7/8/16
to RRCC FIW
Hi Andrew -

I had Jet(?) bench top mortiser for a while but sold it not long after buying it. I found it slow and cumbersome to use. I have had better success with a plunge router + router guide. Also the 3/4" mortise requires hollowing out the mortise before making the final 3/4" cut so you'll be changing the bit once or twice anyway. Perhaps with multiple mortises you'll be better at it than I was, but I don't miss the tool. Good luck - Walt Enterline