Best way to encrypt RPyC communications on Windows?

Matt

Jul 10, 2014, 3:48:08 PM7/10/14
to rp...@googlegroups.com
Tomer and all,
What is the best way to secure RPyC with Windows?  I need full support for Windows and Linux clients and servers and I'd like to secure all communications.  With Linux, it's straightforward because SSH is readily available.  Windows is a bit more of a pain, I've tried some open source SSH servers for Windows, but they're a bit flaky.

Has anyone else done this?
Thanks in advance.
Matt

Tomer Filiba

Jul 10, 2014, 3:57:40 PM7/10/14
to rpyc

Hi Matt

You can always use SSL, it's built-in in Python and only requires you to generate self signed certificates. It's not that complicated. Then you need to distribute the certificates to all clients and servers.

And it's more portable than ssh, although it requires more work

--

---

Matthew Cummings

Jul 10, 2014, 3:59:42 PM7/10/14
to rp...@googlegroups.com
Tomer,
That's what I've been thinking. . . thanks for the feedback.  BTW, I really appreciate your work with RPyC. . . there's nothing else quite as flexible and easy to use in this space.  Thanks!
Matt

Tomer Filiba

Jul 11, 2014, 6:30:04 AM7/11/14
to rpyc

Glad to hear that :-)

Matthew Cummings

Jul 12, 2014, 12:37:12 AM7/12/14
to rp...@googlegroups.com
Not that RPyC needs to take over the world but I'm somewhat baffled that it isn't more popular.  Twisted solves some problems that RPyC doesn't but your library is about 1000 times more easy to use than Twisted, yet Twisted is much more widely deployed.

Tomer Filiba

Jul 12, 2014, 2:24:29 AM7/12/14
to rpyc

Well, twisted comes to solve a different, bigger problem. RPyC is only for RPC. But yeah, I never managed to market it as efficiently as other projects. Oh well.