rpyc module not recognized

anthony orme

Apr 22, 2017, 12:21:52 AM4/22/17
to rpyc
Greetings all,

I have experience with programming using Python and also of using robotics and programming using Lego Mindstorms.  I am trying to take the next step in terms of my development and also in terms of my students when learning programming using the Lego Mindstorms EV3.  I have already tried successfully to install the Basic extension and while learning it, am teaching students how to use it to.  Students in Year 6 to 8 are very much enjoying it and finding it very accessible/

But I would like to use Python to program the EV3 brick especially when teaching upper middle school to high school students. I have been using the website www.ev3python.com and then went to download the ev3dev software to flash a memory card. This worked successfully with it loading up to the main menu screen. Next I followed the Youtube videos by Nigel Ward. In the third video, I successfully installed Mobaxterm, Python 3.2 (I also have Python 3.5 installed) and SFTP Netdrive and everything seems to connect. I was able to run the test based programs like "Hello World" from Mobaxterm.

However, I am a bit lost once I got to the 4th video "EV3 Python programming: Some Possible Workflows" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R27Od9WJzY&t=1235s), he talks about requiring RPyC and it directs me to http://ev3dev-lang.readthedocs.io/…/pyt…/en/stable/rpyc.html.

I have downloaded and installed RPyC for 3.2 Python which is why I have Python 3.2. Also because I need it for PyGame.

I follow the instructions on http://ev3dev-lang.readthedocs.io/…/pyt…/en/stable/rpyc.html.

Doing this step is easy:

  • Install RPyC both on the EV3 and on your desktop PC. For the EV3, enter the following command at the command prompt (after you connect with SSH):
  • sudo easy_install3 rpyc

But I cannot do this step:

  • On the desktop PC, it really depends on your operating system. In case it is some flavor of linux, you should be able to do
  • sudo pip3 install rpyc

I have configured to use the Mobaxterm to use Pycharm and I noticed that it is set to default to use 3.5.  I have made sure that each test program it is set to Python 3.2, but when I run then it shows rpyc module not recognized.

This is the program I tried to run:

from rpycmodule import *
from time import sleep

subprocess.call(["chmod","+x",os.path.basename(__file__)])

m = ev3.LargeMotor()
m.run_timed(speed_sp=600,time_sp=1000)
m.wait_while("running")
sleep(2)
m.run_timed(speed_sp=900,time_sp=2000)

Could anyone help me sort this as am a bit lost.

Kind regards,

Anthony Orme