custom service with zero deploy

M S Vishwanath Bhat

Dec 11, 2014, 9:03:08 AM12/11/14
to rp...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Can we have our own custom service with the zero deploy? If yes, how? Google didn't show any satisfactory answers.

Thanks in advance

Best Regards,
Vishwanath

Tomer Filiba

Dec 11, 2014, 9:06:26 AM12/11/14
to rpyc
zero deploy has several requirements (which i don't remember now) that practically mean it only works for classic mode.
theoretically you can work around them but i haven't tried to.

anyway, zero deploy doesn't really makes sense with a custom service, since custom services are usually "well known",
e.g., your clients know that machines1 is your database. zero deploy is mostly for debugging/testing purposes, where you may not want an rpyc daemon running all the time.

-tomer

M S Vishwanath Bhat

Dec 11, 2014, 9:37:29 AM12/11/14
to rp...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tomer.

I wanted to use zero-deploy because of ease of setting up system. My main use of rpyc (and zero-deploy) is for test automation. I still want to use zero-deploy with some work-around of my own. Hence few questions.

1. How is authentication managed? Should we pass username/password to any API? Is passwordless ssh expected?
2. When a connection is made to a server and server reboots, client needs to establish fresh connection right? It doesn't automatically connect to server.

Thanks again in advance

Best Regards,
MS

Tomer Filiba

Dec 11, 2014, 9:40:18 AM12/11/14
to rpyc
1. it uses plumbum for ssh. plumbum accepts both password (requires sshpass) and keyfile (which is obviously preferred for safety)
2. reboots are not handled by rpyc or plumbum. the server will die and will have to be redeployed. note that it might also leave some files in the temp dir (where rpyc is copied to), unless that temp dir is not backed by disk.

-tomer

Tomer Filiba
tomerfiliba.com

M S Vishwanath Bhat

Dec 11, 2014, 9:50:32 AM12/11/14
to rp...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tomer. This should help with planned work around.

Best Regards,
MS