A FamilySearch front-end UI clone

Dallan Quass

Jun 17, 2014, 7:08:03 PM6/17/14
to root...@googlegroups.com
Several of us (Dovy, Lynn, Heather, and I) have cloned most of the functionality of the FamilySearch FamilyTree front-end https://github.com/rootsdev/familysearch-clone  The clone uses the FamilySearch javascript SDK https://github.com/rootsdev/familysearch-javascript-sdk to access their REST API https://familysearch.org/developers/  It's a pretty good example of using the javascript SDK in a large application.

The project consists of 80+ re-usable components written as AngularJS directives. The whole thing is around 6,400 lines of javascript.You can use the components in non-angular projects if you want (there's an example showing how to do this).  The project is more or less complete, though we haven't implemented memories, restore changes, or merging, we could use more examples showing how to use the components in non-angular projects, and there are probably a few bugs.

You can try out a demo here: http://demo.werelate.org  The demo access the FamilySearch beta site, which contains a stale copy of the production data. Sign in with your production user name and password.

There are a few things that still need to be implemented. If you are interested in helping to implement them or if you want to use the components in your own projects, let me know.

Dallan

Doug Blank

Jun 17, 2014, 9:02:15 PM6/17/14
to root...@googlegroups.com
Very interesting; thanks to you all for the work and sharing!

I'm trying to understand how something like this might be used in a site... what kinds of restrictions are there on this data use? what kinds of things can I do? what can I not do? limits in bandwidth?

Sorry if my questions are too vague... I'm trying to understand how FS fits in to this open source API and my data.

-Doug

Dallan

--

---

Dallan Quass

Jun 17, 2014, 9:15:27 PM6/17/14
to root...@googlegroups.com
Hi Doug,

The goal of the project is to give you a significant head-start in building applications that access the FamilySearch database. You can either modify this code or use various components in your own project. Either way you have to go through the same certification process with FamilySearch as you usually do to be allowed to access production data. I've heard that the certification process typically takes 2-3 months, but I don't know first-hand. I assume though that since the UI in this project is practically identical to the FamilySearch UI, it would probably be shorter.

Does