2015 Family History Technology Workshop

Daniel Zappala

Dec 10, 2014, 7:16:46 PM12/10/14
to root...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,

The 2015 Family History Technology Workshop will be held 10 February 2015. This is the Tuesday of RootsTech week, just before it starts, so if you are from out of town you just have to come one day early. We are also broadening the participation this year to include developers, startups, open-source projects, or anyone with a strongly held but informative opinion on where technology should go in this area. I encourage you to submit an idea for a talk or demo. Full details are at fhtw.byu.edu.

There are now three ways to participate:

Developer Talk

Give a 10 to 15 minute talk about new tools, libraries, or languages, accompanied by a demo of what is being developed. Our emphasis is on novel approaches that will impact the future of family history technology.

To submit an idea for a developer talk, send us a 1 - 2 paragraph description of what you will cover. Include a short biographical statement and a link to your developer profile on GitHub or other relevant sites.

Lightning Talk

Give a 2 to 5 minute presentation on your latest work in family history technology. We welcome startups, new open source projects, work-in-progress, or strongly-held (but informative) opinions on where the future of family history technology will go.

To submit an idea for a lightning talk, send us a one paragraph description of what you will cover. Include a short biographical statement and a link to your product or web site and to your social media profile. Indicate whether you would also like to provide a demo in between sessions.

Research Talk

Give a 10 to 15 minute presentation on your research, including key ideas, algorithms and results. Topics could include data modeling, extraction, search, natural language processing, document processing, handwriting recognition, machine learning, expert systems, social networks, human interfaces, data visualization, mobile technologies, automated research, cloud computing, security, or other areas of computing as they relate to family history research. Working demos are strongly encouraged.

To submit an idea for a research talk, send a 1 - 2 page extended abstract, including citations, similar to what you would submit to a technical conference in your field of study. Include a short biographical statement and a link to your personal web presence and/or social media profile.

How to Submit

Presenters should submit the above information by January 19, 2015 to fh...@internet.byu.edu. Submissions will be reviewed by members of the program committee.

-- Daniel Zappala

Thom Reed