RootsTech 2014

Brooke Ganz

Dec 20, 2013, 5:06:47 PM12/20/13
to root...@googlegroups.com
Who else here is going this year?  Due to family commitments, I'm probably just going to attend the pre-RootsTech "Developer Day" on Wednesday this year, or possibly a bit of Thursday too, before flying back.  I'd love to meet up with anyone here and talk shop, or get lunch, or whatever.  (My instinct was to use the word "coffee" but...well, this is probably the only group of computer geeks anywhere where coffee drinkers are the minority.  :-)  )

There was brief discussion on the FSDN list about getting together a bunch of devs in an unofficial hackathon setting, which would be cool, but I don't think anything was really settled.

I also have to say that I'm a little bit sad to see the "Tech" part continue to fade from "RootsTech".  The conference used to be more about the intersection of technology and genealogy, with a lot of awesome development-oriented sessions.  But as it has gotten bigger and more successful, the Tech classes have been reduced and mostly segregated to one day, a trend that will undoubtedly continue in 2015 when RootsTech merges with the FGS conference into a mega-event.  And now it's not even "Developer Day" anymore, it's been rebranded as an "Innovator Summit" day, to also rope in all the business opportunities, sponsorships, vendor meet-and-greets, a.k.a. How We Turned Public Data Into Stock Options And You Can Too, and so on.  And despite that, it's also looking like it will now run only from 12:45 PM to maybe 5:00-ish on Wednesday -- so, a half-Day, really.

But I guess the good news here is that this means we can all meet up on Wednesday morning or for lunch, maybe?

And I did see newly scheduled on Thursday at 4 PM -- and not on Wednesday, for some reason -- a session that discusses "the coming FamilySearch Historical Records API"!  So I guess that's confirmation that a new API is really on the horizon.  Yay!

- Brooke Schreier Ganz

Dallan Quass

Dec 21, 2013, 11:06:51 PM12/21/13
to root...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there this year - talking up RootsDev!  The SDK is starting to take shape: http://rootsdev.org/familysearch-javascript-sdk and https://github.com/rootsdev/familysearch-javascript-sdk Pull requests are welcome :-) especially to add node.js support.

RootsDev Javascript SDK for FamilySearch API DEV1078

DALLAN QUASS

RootsDev is an informal community of developers, designers, database managers, family historians, and genealogists who are working with genealogical tools and data. This community will present their Open Source Javascript SDK for interacting with FamilySearch API.

I'd love to do either breakfast or lunch. An early breakfast might be more relaxed. Anyone else interested?

I agree it's sad about the Tech part fading...  Hopefully we can hang on to one day.

Dallan

--

---

Louis Kessler

Dec 22, 2013, 12:53:28 AM12/22/13
to root...@googlegroups.com
I'm in for lunch after the keynote at 11 and before the RootsDev SDK talk at 12:45. I drink coffee.

Louis

Dec 23, 2013, 1:01:43 PM12/23/13
to root...@googlegroups.com
My experience in 2013 was that the exhibit hall was where most of the conversations of interest to me were happening, so I decided to exhibit in 2014.  Unfortunately, I didn't make the exhibitor deadline, so plan to sit this one out.

Ben

Louis Kessler

Dec 23, 2013, 8:58:29 PM12/23/13
to root...@googlegroups.com
Ryan, et al,

Just got a RootsTech email today, I now am reminded that its a "FREE lunch
on Wednesday with the keynote speaker Chris Dancy".

So maybe the RootsDev-iers should just meet prior to the keynote, say at
10:30, and hold a table (or two) for us.

Louis

> I'm in... although it's sometimes hard for me to predict my
> availability.
> But if we have a time and place, I'll try to make it.
>

> On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 10:53 PM, Louis Kessler
> <lkes...@lkessler.com>wrote:
>
>> I'm in for lunch after the keynote at 11 and before the RootsDev SDK
>> talk at 12:45. I drink coffee.
>>
>> Louis
>> ------------------------------

Justin York

Dec 23, 2013, 10:27:10 PM12/23/13
to root...@googlegroups.com
I would be willing to meet at 9 or 9:30 for breakfast.

Does anybody know how registration is going to work Wednesday morning since the main registration doesn't open until the evening?

---

---

Dallan Quass

Dec 24, 2013, 12:28:50 PM12/24/13
to root...@googlegroups.com
How about meeting somewhere for breakfast at 9 and going to the keynote at 10:30 to meet those who can't make breakfast?  I'm not too familiar with the area, but it looks like there is a JBs restaurant and a Blue Lemon restaurant within a block of the convention center.

Asparagirl

Dec 24, 2013, 7:45:07 PM12/24/13
to Roots-Dev
That sounds great: 9 AM breakfast on Wednesday morning at Blue Lemon
(latecomers welcome), and then meeting up at 10:30 AM at the
convention hall before the lunch/talk. And yes, we should stake out a
table or two for the lunch/talk, too. And we should make a point to
tell some of the other dev's there, many of whom will be high school
or college age, about Roots-Dev.

- Brooke

Louis Kessler

Dec 27, 2013, 6:44:18 PM12/27/13
to root...@googlegroups.com
I like those plans. Hope to see you at Blue Lemon and afterwards, Brooke
and others.

Louis

Dec 31, 2013, 6:22:19 PM12/31/13
to root...@googlegroups.com
I’d like to add a couple of thoughts here, including my personal sales pitch and promo code for the Innovator Summit (Developer Day).

Breakfast
I love the idea and I plan to attend. The Blue Lemon is a great choice. I’m pretty shy when it comes to large social events, so I think having this meet up is really cool. I’ve been a lurker on this group since the beginning and enjoy reading the discussions. I haven’t had anything profound to add, so I’ve been mostly quiet. Perhaps the breakfast will help me break out of my shell and participate more.

Diminished Role of Tech in RootsTech?
It is true that "Tech" (or Dev) has played a diminished role since the first conference, though I believe we have an opportunity to turn that around this year and put Tech back into a more prominent place within the conference. The conference organizers will be paying attention to the outcome of the Innovator Summit and my hope is that this year will prove that there is enough interest in the genealogy tech space that it can once again take a more prominent role. It would be great if registration numbers for the Innovator Summit exceeded the goal, but we are far from that at the moment.

Developer Day as a Separate Day
Last year, the "Developer Day" was held during a regular day of the conference. I noticed that there were a lot of people who didn't attend the sessions because they were busy with customers in the expo hall. One of the reasons for holding it as a separate day this time is to allow exhibitors to be able to participate fully in the sessions and not worry about losing sales and potential opportunities in the expo hall. There will be no expo hall running during the Innovator Summit. Will this help with better participation? I hope so.

Un-conferencing Sessions
One of my favorite hours of the first RootsTech conference was an Open Lightning Round. People signed up for 5 minute slots on a whiteboard to pitch an idea. From that came all sorts of interesting discussions. People demonstrated cool new ways to visualize tree data, work that had been done to apply Git versioning principles to graph structures, thoughts on applying the oEmbed (http://oembed.com) standard to genealogical records, and more. I’m hoping this year we can do a bunch more of this type of sharing of ideas. How can we get greater participation in this type of thing? Is this of interest to this group?

I’d also love to see an un-conferencing session where individuals took 5-10 minutes each to pitch a concept from the FHISO Call for Papers Submissions (http://fhiso.org/call-for-papers-submissions/). I haven’t seen much activity on the FHISO website lately, so I’m hoping for an update at the conference.

Promo Code
If you haven’t already signed up, I have a promo code that will give a bit of a discount over the Early Bird discount. Feel free to share this promo code as broadly as you would like (blogs, twitter, email, etc.). In full disclosure, I will receive a bonus reward from my employer if 30 people sign up using this promo code.

Wednesday (1-day) pass: $59
Full Access (4-day) pass: $139
Promo code: IS59JZ1

This is code is only good until January 15. At that time, the price goes to the full $239.

Note: Students get better pricing by not using this promo code ($39 Full Access). It would be awesome to see lots of high school and college students attend this event. This could be a great opportunity for students to get connected with startups and other companies.

Exhibitor?
If you wish to be an exhibitor at the conference, last I heard there are still some spaces available. Contact me off-list and I’ll get you connected to the right people.

Help Spread the Word
I’d love to see the Tech side of the conference grow into something greater in 2015. There are so many problems to be solved in the RootsDev space and I think we’re only scratching the surface.

Please help spread the word. I believe the conference will offer value to those who are in adjacent markets, so if you know anyone who might be interested in participating, please invite them.

Thanks!
Jimmy Zimmerman

Justin York

Feb 4, 2014, 7:21:59 PM2/4/14
to root...@googlegroups.com
Are you all still planning on breakfast? We'll be there.

Jimmy Zimmerman

Feb 4, 2014, 7:33:40 PM2/4/14
to <rootsdev@googlegroups.com>
I'll be there.

--
Jimmy Zimmerman

Sent from my iPhone

Dallan Quass

Feb 4, 2014, 8:15:26 PM2/4/14
to root...@googlegroups.com
Me too

Asparagirl

Feb 4, 2014, 8:43:06 PM2/4/14
to root...@googlegroups.com, root...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there!  Sitting in a cab going to Oakland airport right now...

- Brooke

Sent from my iPhone

Dovy Paukstys

Feb 5, 2014, 10:04:33 AM2/5/14
to root...@googlegroups.com
Bah, I fear I am going to miss breakfast. I'll see you at the summit though.  ;)
Me too

---

Louis Kessler

Feb 5, 2014, 2:09:17 PM2/5/14
to root...@googlegroups.com
Too bad you couldn't make it, Dovy. There were 10 of us there. I was looking for you at Chris Dancy. It's just ending now. If you read this in time, I'm in the 2nd row of tables.

Louis