RootsTech Innovator Challenge Submissions

Justin York

Jan 16, 2015, 9:35:12 AM1/16/15
to root...@googlegroups.com
The deadline for submission was last night. All of the submissions are publicly listed on the contest website at ChallengePost. There are 51 submissions. All have videos and most have a website. There's a lot of neat stuff there.

Stories is a big theme again this year. StoryPress and StoryWorth are the most polished. The second most common idea is a family website. Everybody seems to want their particular flavor.

Tom's GText is featured so you can see a demo of the software we've heard about.

Bob Coret's Open Archives was also submitted. I didn't realize that site did so much. Well done Bob.

IoTree is a good candidate for winning. They have the best wow factor.

HistoryLines is a neat project, though it sounds like Ancestry will be challenging them soon.

Lucky Graves uses a novel approach for automatically extracting text from headstone images.

GenMarketplace and RootsBid are alternatives to Genlighten. I still think that's largely an untapped market.

There's a lot more there to see. What catches your interest?

Brooke Ganz

Jan 17, 2015, 11:59:13 AM1/17/15
to root...@googlegroups.com
Oooh, lots to look at. I think Open Archives is my favorite submission. Lovely presentation of data, integration with other sites' data, just really nice. Anything that helps get more historical data online and available makes me really happy.

IoTree is neat, and I'm happy to see the Maker movement come to genealogy apps. Would love to see more hardware submissions in the future. The "built with" section lists both Apache and node, though...? Why both?

I really like RootsMapper too, but a shame that it only works with FamilySearch Family Tree, as not all of us use it. Would be awesome if it worked with a straight up GEDCOM upload.

- Brooke

Mark Tucker

Jan 21, 2015, 6:31:42 PM1/21/15
to root...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for mentioning IoTree. I am excited to see how the genealogy community does with some exposure to IoT. To answer Brooke's question we only use Node.js and not Apache. Must have been some glitch when submitting tags. Good catch though!

Let me know if you have any other questions for IoTree.

If you would like to give us additional feedback, fill out the survey or leave a comment on our site:

Take care,

Mark

Justin York

Jan 30, 2015, 7:09:33 PM1/30/15
to root...@googlegroups.com

--

---

Thom Reed

Feb 7, 2015, 7:34:04 PM2/7/15
to root...@googlegroups.com
Come see the 8 semifinalists compete Wednesday at Innovator Summit!