Family History Open Source Projects

Jimmy Z

Feb 3, 2015, 7:21:15 PM2/3/15
to root...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I'm giving a presentation at the RootsTech Innovator Summit highlighting open source projects in the family history space. The intent is to raise awareness that there is a lot of stuff out there and that there are some great projects for people to begin using. Also, I'm hoping we can gather more interest for contributing effort. I'll be encouraging people to come and work on these projects at the hack-a-thon on Wednesday night.

I'm sure there are projects that I'm not aware of, so if there are any projects you all have been working on that you would like me to mention, please let me know. I've posted the list I've compiled so far in a gist on Github. Some projects may be listed twice as I haven't nailed down my categorization of the projects.

The list is quite long right now, so if there are projects that I really should be talking about at RootsTech, let me know. I'm interested in your insights. Also, I'm interested to know who from this group will be attending the Innovator Summit.

Thanks,
Jimmy Zimmerman

Dallan Quass

Feb 5, 2015, 10:50:16 AM2/5/15
to root...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there. (I'm speaking at 3:15 - I hope that doesn't coincide with your talk.)

This is a great list! It's the first time I've seen all of these projects together in one place. Would you be willing to maintain the list over time? It would be awesome if you did.

--

---

Jimmy Z

Feb 7, 2015, 9:19:55 AM2/7/15
to root...@googlegroups.com, dal...@quass.org
I think that this could be a good project for the RootsTech Hackathon. It would be great if the directory could publish out to Github site and the directory could be contributed and updated through GitHub.

I'd like to get more metadata on each project such as license, activity, platform, language, category, etc. That way, the projects could be filtered. Perhaps this could be a simple Angular app backed by some simple JSON data.

--
Jimmy