COMMUNIA policy paper on digitization agreements

todd.d....@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2014, 3:17:37 PM6/17/14
to root...@googlegroups.com
An important new paper by the folks at COMMUNIA:

http://www.communia-association.org/2014/06/13/communia-policy-paper-on-digitization-agreements/

Definitely worth a read! The embargoes placed by Ancestry.com and others through agreements with NARA are concerning.

--
Tod Robbins
Digital Asset Manager, MLIS

Dallan Quass

Jun 17, 2014, 7:33:25 PM6/17/14
to root...@googlegroups.com
I agree with the recommendations in general, but when an archive that doesn't have enough funding to digitize and host their own material is approached by someone who offers them money in exchange for an exclusive contract, what's the archive to do? What are the viable alternatives for the archive to raise enough money to digitize and host the content online for free?  Kickstarter?

--

---

Luther Tychonievich

Jun 20, 2014, 8:12:00 AM6/20/14
to root...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Dallan, the financial model is troubling. I wonder if it could be solved by introducing a patent-like system where digitization could introduce a time-limited intellectual property of the digitization, leaving the original in the PD and causing the digitization to revert to PD after, say, 10 years.

Dallan Quass

Jun 20, 2014, 11:03:43 PM6/20/14
to root...@googlegroups.com
I like that idea.