Selenium Testing for Web Applications which contains Java Applets.

Yash Rajpurohit

Apr 26, 2012, 1:53:04 AM4/26/12
to robotframe...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've a Web Application which contains Java Applets within the HTML page of Browser. 2-3 Java Applets can be active at the same time within different frames. Is there any way I can use Robot-framework and for that matter Selenium for automating the tests?

Thanks,
Yash

Pekka Klärck

Apr 26, 2012, 2:40:08 AM4/26/12
to yashrajp...@gmail.com, robotframe...@googlegroups.com
2012/4/26 Yash Rajpurohit <yashrajp...@gmail.com>:
AFAIK you can only use Selenium to test that the page has those
applets and verify certain HTML attributes of the embedded objects.
Actually interacting with applets using Selenium is not possible.

If you can run those applets also as normal Java programs, you should
be able to test them independently using SwingLibrary [1]. We have
investigated that it ought to be possible to extend the library to
test applets directly too, but nobody has had time and interest to
look at it more deeply.

[1] https://github.com/robotframework/SwingLibrary

Cheers,
.peke
--
Agile Tester/Developer/Consultant :: http://eliga.fi
Lead Developer of Robot Framework :: http://robotframework.org

Thomas Klein

Apr 26, 2012, 5:11:28 AM4/26/12
to robotframework-users
I also had to implement tests for ab applet running in a webpage once,
back then the only way to do this was using the JS API of the applet.
So I've used the execute javascript keyword to add links to the
webpage that trigger commands via the API. Ofc this is a pretty nasty
hack ;) re-evaluating this now I would probably be trying to solve
this using the Sikuli library.