Using an Android as a webserver

Budi Mulyo

Jun 21, 2012, 2:18:13 PM6/21/12
to Robo-Magellan Project, da Vinci
We might be able to use this technique:

using an Android as a webserver

Best wishes,

--
Budi Mulyo

Jigsaw Renaissance is a learning and making community, a collaborative community dedicated to collective education and creation.

For more information about JR
(www.jigsawrenaissance.org)please visit our wiki page at wiki.jigren.org/Starting_Classes or this page.

Contact us, so we can chat about scheduling something cool together.
Thanks!

Pat Tressel

Jun 21, 2012, 5:37:48 PM6/21/12
to Robo-Magellan Project, dav...@jigsawrenaissance.org
We might be able to use this technique:

using an Android as a webserver

;-)

For Robo-magellan specifically, the contest rules say no external comms, so we'd have to turn it off during the contest.  For a real robot, http with a server on the robot might be a convenient comms method.

I see some comments on that post that seem surprised about "things" having web servers.  It's actually not uncommon and it's not a recent development.  Remember the first (?) Cisco DSL modem?  Yep, it had a web server to handle configuration, as do many network widgets.  Having a web server doesn't imply having wifi -- most of these things have wired connections.  We joke about coffee machines and cars having web servers, but it's not really a joke...

-- Pat

Paul Danset

Jun 21, 2012, 5:59:31 PM6/21/12
to Robo-Magellan Project on behalf of Pat Tressel
I see some comments on that post that seem surprised about "things" having web servers.  It's actually not uncommon and it's not a recent development.  Remember the first (?) Cisco DSL modem?  Yep, it had a web server to handle configuration, as do many network widgets.  Having a web server doesn't imply having wifi -- most of these things have wired connections.  We joke about coffee machines and cars having web servers, but it's not really a joke...

-- Pat

In several conferences I've attended this year, one buzz word I keep on hearing is the "Internet of Things".  We think of the Internet as a medium to connect people, PCs and servers etc together.  Millions of servers; hundreds of millions of users.  Qualcomm did a keynote at a recent Linux conference where they talked about the next stage -- hooking up billions (with a "b") of appliances and other smart devices together -- the Internet of Things.    I think they estimated north of 5 billion connected devices within a few years.

One key enabler is the rapid decrease in cost of creating and hooking up smart devices.  Another is Koomey's Law, which states that the energy efficiency of computing doubles every 1.5 years.

Example:  Say your netbook normally consumes 16 Watts (2**4 Watts).  If Koomey's Law holds, then in 4 * 1.5  = 6 years, a netbook with the same ability would only consume 1 Watt.

More exciting, that means my ARM PandaBoard (same CPU as my Galaxy Nexus) that usually consumes less than 4W will run on just 1/4 Watt.   So if the law holds, it opens up a world where little connected devices might be powered by ambient energy -- ambient light, ambient RF, ambient heat.  Think of those cheap solar powered calculators.

Budi Mulyo

Jun 21, 2012, 7:19:51 PM6/21/12
to da Vinci, Robo-Magellan Project
"The Internet of Things" is a very good topic for our projects and presentations.

I'm interested in putting scores of Arduinos on the Internet with one router at Jigsaw, especially , so we can resurrect our beloved JigTwitch.

I might have a router that we can use, otherwise we can find very cheap routers at second hand stores. Let me know if you're interested.

Best wishes,

--
Budi Mulyo

Jigsaw Renaissance is a learning and making community, a collaborative community dedicated to collective education and creation.

For more information about JR
(www.jigsawrenaissance.org)please visit our wiki page at wiki.jigren.org/Starting_Classes or this page.

Contact us, so we can chat about scheduling something cool together.
Thanks!

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Lee Fisher <bli...@gmail.com> wrote:
FYI, from last years' ELC:

Android for Servers?
http://free-electrons.com/blog/elc-2011-videos/
https://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/embedded-linux-conference/stultz

"While running Android as a server OS doesn't really make much sense, there are a number of features in the Android Linux kernel that would be beneficial to regular Linux servers. This talk/bof will cover the gaps in functionality the Android developers found missing from the Linux kernel, their approaches to fill those gaps, and some of the resulting controversy those changes caused on the kernel mailing list. The talk/bof will also cover some of the approaches I'm taking in trying to get some of the functionality found in Android upstream to benefit more than just phones."

dav...@jigsawrenaissance.org
http://groups.google.com/a/jigsawrenaissance.org/group/davinci