Antennae in my garage left by previous owner

Brent Harvey

Jan 8, 2016, 5:15:05 PM1/8/16
to Ramona Outback Amateur Radio Society
I just passed the Tech Exam (KK6ZER)...so I'm a newbie just getting started.

We were playing ping-pong with my family over the Holidays...and my brother-in-law looks up into to the rafters in our garage and notices some abandoned antennae (2).  I never really paid much attention to them before...figured it was part of an old garage door system.

Now that I know more...I can tell that they were Ham or CB antennae.

The first is about 3', with what looks like a covered coil in the center, with bare copper radial wires (4 I think) running from the base to the edge of the garage walls.

The second looks like an old CB "Firestick", except its green.

Both have the small coax cable cut...seems like the just cut the wire to move out, leaving the antennae in place.

Can anyone add insight to what freq these are for?  Anybody feel like a trip to the Estates to help me figure it out?

Might be a cold beer in it for you...or a cold soda if you'd prefer.

Thanks!

Brent Harvey
KK5ZER

SRS Gmail

Jan 8, 2016, 9:09:44 PM1/8/16
to Brent Harvey, Ramona Outback Amateur Radio Society
From your description hard to tell, but must be either CB or VHF/UHF ham antennas. Need a photo or eyes-on to determine.

Steve
K6SRS