Fwd: Maker Faire - Details and FAQs - We need you this Sat and Sunday!

Gav

Aug 11, 2015, 9:00:56 PM8/11/15
to rnd-an...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gav <the.mechat...@gmail.com>
Date: 12 August 2015 at 11:00
Subject: Maker Faire - Details and FAQs - We need you this Sat and Sunday!
To: "sydney-h...@googlegroups.com" <sydney-h...@googlegroups.com>

Hi All,

So, so sorry for the lateness of this info-dump. We had issues with insurance (it was set to expire midway through the first day of the faire!) and arrival timing that needed sorting out.

I've seen lots of cool projects being worked on in the space recently, and I'm really excited to see the faire this year. We're still working on our big water-filled coffee table, but it wouldn't be a fair without last minute hacks and the possibility of catastrophic failure...

If you haven't been to a faire before, please come along!. Also if you know people that haven't heard of it, but are makers at heart, please pass on the message! It's your best chance all year to fellow meet makers from all around Australia and have a chat to all sorts of interesting people.

Cheers,
Gavin
OK, so in FAQ form here's what you need to know.

Q:When and where is Maker Faire?
A:This Saturday and Sunday, Powerhouse Museum in the City.
located at: 500 Harris St, Ultimo NSW 2007

Unfortunately there is no on-site parking
(However the Entertainment Centre carpark is located nearby, and will offer a discounted rate if you show a validated ticket from the Powerhouse Museum. )

Q: What is Maker Faire?
A: A more formal description is here: http://makerfairesydney.com/about-2/
But basically, it's an excuse for us to get together and:
  • Meet a bunch of like minded folk that also spend their time tinkering and making things
  • See some of the latest bits and pieces from vendors in the Maker community and kick the tyres on their wares
  • See other people's weird and wonderful projects
  • Show off your weird and wonderful projects

Q: When do we turn up?
Maker Faire is open to the public from 10am to 5pm Saturday and Sunday
RnD will be given an official 'bump in' timeslot to do large amounts of unloading. It hasn't been issued to us yet, but it'll be in the early morning. However I've checked and we will still be able to bring in stuff for our stall between 7am and 9:30am

Q: Do I need to purchase tickets?
A: Unfortunately yes. Tickets are available from the link on the sidebar here; http://makerfairesydney.com/

Q: How can I get my project to the faire?/Transport is tricky
A: Two options here:
  • Bring your project along to Robots and Dinosaurs this Friday night (or before and email me where you've left it), and I'll take it to the space early Saturday. If your project is particularly big or bulky email me just to make sure we'll have enough car room
  • Bring it yourself to the Powerhouse museum on the morning between 7am and 9:30am. This is going to be tricker as the lack of onsite parking means unpacking is more a two person job

Q: Should I bring my project to show off? What if it's not quite finished?
A: Please bring it anyway! Finished projects are cool, but seeing works in progress are a good way of generating discussion about the process and techniques used. It also gets across to people that making stuff is something you can actually do yourself

At the end of the day we're a bunch of hobbyists that make cool stuff and have fun doing it. Having to make a polished and finished 'product' is a problem for our day-jobs or people actually selling stuff. Have fun, chat to people about stuff you've made, or are planning to make.

Q: Do you need me on the stall?
A: Absolutely. RnD isn't about having a particular toy/lasercutter/3D printer, it's about a group of people getting together, chatting about projects and hanging out to tinker.

Please come along, be a part of the stall and have fun chatting with the maker community.

Q: What's security like at these events?/Can I leave valuables overnight?
A: This year all the attendees will be in a large exhibit hall together. This is better than previous years when we've been spread out through the museum, and it was a bit hard to find particular groups.

When maker faire closes to the public we're obviously allowed to leave behind our equipment overnight. Personally I'd take stuff like a laptop home, but wouldn't bother taking a monitor, etc.

Q: Do I need to get my devices 'tagged and tested'.
A: Unfortunately yes. If you have a device that's plugged into the mains, it'll need to be tagged and tested before the faire opens. There's a tagging at testing oppurtunity from 7-9:30am on the morning, but expect it to be busy. Have devices that need testing ready and separated from the rest of your stuff to make it the process easier.

    I've also attached the official 'Maker Manual' from the Museum if anyone wants more info.

    SMMF Maker Manual 2015 (1).docx