Genome Index Compatibility

Yunjiang Qiu

Feb 1, 2018, 4:37:43 PM2/1/18
to rna-star
Hi,

I have a genome build using 2.5.3a. when I tried to align fastq files again the index using 2.42a, I got the following error. Is that due to the difference in STAR version?

EXITING: FATAL INPUT ERROR: unrecoginzed parameter name "genomeFileSizes" in input "genomeParameters.txt"
SOLUTION: use correct parameter name (check the manual)

Thanks a lot!

Best,
Yunjiang

Alexander Dobin

Feb 5, 2018, 12:33:10 PM2/5/18
to rna-star
Hi Yunjiang,

yes, you generally cannot use the newer genome indexes with older STAR versions.
The best way is to re-generate the genome with the corresponding STAR version.
In this case, you may get away with simply removing the genomeFileSizes line from the genomeParameters.txt fiel in the genome directory.

Cheers
Alex