STAR with fasta files

Zoe Ward

Jun 12, 2017, 5:50:15 PM6/12/17
to rna-star
Hi Alex,

I have run the two pass mapping with a bunch of samples as standard (so I have the two genomes generated already).
I now have two FASTA files with about 1000 transcripts that I want to map back with STAR.
I ran the commands form the second pass mapping point for the two files with:
STAR2 --runThreadN 5 --genomeDir $genome2 --readFilesIn $dir$file \
 --outFilterType BySJout --outSAMstrandField intronMotif \
--outFilterIntronMotifs RemoveNoncanonical --outFilterMultimapNmax 20 --alignSJoverhangMin 8  --alignSJDBoverhangMin 1 \
--outFilterMismatchNoverLmax 0.04 --alignIntronMin 20 --alignIntronMax 1000000 \
--alignMatesGapMax 1000000 --outFileNamePrefix $file

The bam files that are generated for the two files say that there are only 2 and 3 input reads.
Can you help me out where I'm going wrong??

Thanks in advance,

Zoe.

Alexander Dobin

Jun 13, 2017, 5:27:03 PM6/13/17
to rna-star
Hi Zoe,

are these transcripts long - longer than 500b?
In this case you would need to use STARlong - this is a separate executable that you can make with
$ make STARlong,
or use the pre-compiled binaries in the STAR bin directory.

Please check this thread for parameter recommended for mapping long reads with STARlong:

Cheers
Alex

Zoe Ward

Jun 13, 2017, 10:11:14 PM6/13/17
to rna-star
Hi Alex,

Thanks for that.
I'm a little confused as to what I use for the genomeDir argument?? Do I use the directory that I have from the 'standard' two pass method??

Alexander Dobin

Jun 14, 2017, 11:07:28 AM6/14/17
to rna-star
Hi Zoe,

yes, STARlong uses the same genome index as the standard STAR.

Cheers
Alex